1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

40th Ryder Cup

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by trifectarich, Sep 23, 2014.

1. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

You would think the 2008 Ryder would have been a lesson. Six rookies, won by five points, played with ridiculous enthusiasm that threw the European team off.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

U.S. gets smoked this afternoon, 3 1/2-1/2

10-6 going into tomorrow......just like Brookline.

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Didn't think I would see any of this, but had a late night in the newsroom on Friday, and it was on when I got home.

Great stuff ... Justin Rose was on fire in the four-ball round, and Reed/Speith were locked in again. Of course, the second session (after I finally went to sleep at 4 a.m.) didn't go so well for the U.S.

Bring on singles!

Also, what a beautiful looking course, with perfect playing conditions. Sunny, 50-degrees, light winds ... I'm sure every fall day is like that in Scotland. ;)

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

This thing was lost with the Reed/Spieth benching on Friday. Typical play well in the mornings, get smoked in foursomes.

Finally Watson gets smart and sends out Spieth (vs. McDowell) and Reed (vs. Stenson) to start singles at 4:30 a.m. MDT.

Fowler vs. McIlroy looks like a replay of the British and PGA from this year.

They need a Hail Mary. It'd surprise me if they get it. But I'll still watch.

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

No one was beating McIlroy in singles, but Fowler has now played eight career RC matches and still hasn't won.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The designer of the hideous U.S. clothing line should share in the blame.

7. trifectarich

You can buy some of those official RC jackets for something like $359.

8. Great shot by Donaldson to put the exclamation point on the win.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's what I really like about the Ryder Cup, it hasn't become overcommercialized at all. Cough.

10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Those Watson and Mickelson interviews were tense...the facial expressions told the story

11. trifectarich

A friend e-mailed me and said the post-round press conference was priceless; can't wait to watch it later tonight.

12. I don't think Watson is all that popular among playing pros.

Draft saved Draft deleted