1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

40th Ryder Cup

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by trifectarich, Sep 23, 2014.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Friday-Sunday at Gleneagles in Scotland, which is great if you're a person who doesn't sleep very much; the first match goes at 2:35 a.m. (Eastern).

Each side has four players in the top 10 of the world rankings. Vegas has Europe as nearly a 2-to-1 favorite (-190) and there's no question Europe has more players who are playing better of late. Players on this year's US team have one Tour win since May vs. six for Europe.

It's been more than 20 years (1993) since the U.S. has won away from home. Weather forecast is exactly what you'd expect in Scotland at this time of year: temps in the 50s and some rain every day.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I think the U.S. is a value bet at that price. Last two Cups have been one-point affairs, meaning two or three putts decided the issue. Also, course is much more like an American course than British one. Ought to be, since Nicklaus designed it.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Does that mean the U.S. is +160 or +170? A friend of mine was in Reno a few weeks ago and said the U.S. odds were even-money at his hotel. That sounded way off for a road game and an inferior team on paper. If I could have gotten good plus-odds I would have gotten down on the U.S. Very American-style course and if the weather is good, even better for the U.S.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Reno sucks ass for sports betting. The last time I was there during an NFL weekend, a straight bet was -125 instead of -110.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Hopefully, the U.S. rain gear is better than it was four years ago in Wales.

No Tiger means I give the U.S. a shot at winning this.

6. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

I am not sure how the US can win even on a Nicklaus design. Maybe a Rory-McDowell fistfight will divide the Euros.

7. Michael_ Gee

Seems as if McGinley is going to partner McIlroy with Kaymer, Dubuisson with McDowell, Garcia with Stenson and Rose with Poulter to open the ball Friday morning.
    For all the chatter, it doesn't sound as if Watson is going to change many surviving partnerships, as Mickelson and Bradley and Watson and Simpson have practiced together each morning so far.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I like the Tiger-less team too. Good roundtable last night on Golf Channel about Tiger in Ryder Cups. Captains would put his pair out first in a session frequently, which was a no-win prop when other U.S. pairs would see the scoreboards during play. If Tiger and whoever was winning, fine, they're supposed to, but if they're losing, yikes. That was never more true when Tiger and Phil played together.

9. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

If it was anyone other than Tom Watson as captain, I would say the USA has little chance. But the captain means more than people think. I think you'll get the USA's best out there and I think Watson will know how to match these players up. And you know they're going to play hard for him. Whether that's enough, I don't know.

From what I hear, the course is set up easy. Very soft greens. I fear McIlroy may be the hot guy this week with those kinds of conditions. I was hoping for faster conditions. I feel that would have benefited the US guys more. Soft greens tend to help Rory and Sergio more, guys who are good at aiming at pins.

10. Michael_ Gee

Any course in Scotland at this time of year is liable to be wet and soft.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Phil:

"Well, not only are we able to play together, we also don't litigate against each other, and that's a real plus, I feel, heading into this week," Mickelson quipped.

I like it.

12. They can only hope to contain the Great Sergio Garcia.

Draft saved Draft deleted