1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

40th anniversary of the moon landing - July 20

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by OnTheRiver, Jul 14, 2009.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

When we'd go to the NASA Glenn Center for school field trips or whatever, I'd stock up on the astronaut ice cream. That stuff was AWESOME.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

"December, 1963 (Oh, What a Night)" was changed from 1933 for similar reasons.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

In the Year 2525 was actually about the French and Indian Wars.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Seven, almost eight years old. Watched on TV and went out into yard to look at the moon with and without a telescope. Could not wrap my mind around it.

5. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

Had moved into a new house two weeks prior at age 3 years and 5 months. Nothing about the move left an impression, but the 40 or so gathered in our den to watch the moon landing did. It's the first memory of my childhood, only matched in awe by the Mets winning the World Series a few months later as my mom sewed a new dress for my 9-year-old sister. It was a good year for me.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Was six years old and absolutely amazed that we could go that far. I used to see planes in the sky at night and think "there goes President Nixon checking on the nation." Seriously. the wonders of being a kid.

7. highlander

highlander Member

I was five when it happened.

I'm still amazed that in less than a span of 70 years, man went from its first motorized flight to landing on the Moon. Then in the next 40 years, practically nothing manned space flight wise has happened. Oh, the Space Shuttle is nifty, but you'd think a manned mission to Mars would have been possible by now. I know that's a heck of a long trip.

8. Colton

Colton Active Member

highlander: Completely agree. In regards to the moon, I can't shake the been-there-done-that (a longgggg time ago) feeling.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I know the moon landing was fake because, duh, James Bond stole the moonbuggy from Willard Whyte's lab.

[​IMG]

Definitely one of the top 10 dumbest moments in the Bond canon, er I mean, we faked it!

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You saw a Leafs Stanley Cup Parade? You ARE ancient...

11. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

According to my father, who worked at the Cape between 1960-1965 and Mission Control in Houston from 1965 through 1968, the laptop you're typing on has expontentially more computational power and speed than the mainframes NASA used to send men to the moon in 1969.

To me, that may be the single-most amazing thing about the whole effort. Engineers were still doing complex calculations on slide rules, because the rudimentary "personal" calculators of the day only had four functions: add, subtract, multiply and divide.

12. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

[​IMG]

"No way. That's great ..."

Draft saved Draft deleted