1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

40th anniversary of the moon landing - July 20

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by OnTheRiver, Jul 14, 2009.

1. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

That's exactly what you want me to believe, isn't it?

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Hey andy did you hear about this one? tell me, are you locked in the punch?
    Hey, andy are you goofing on elvis? hey, baby. are you having fun?
    If you believed they put a man on the moon, man on the moon.
    If you believe theres nothing up my sleeve, then nothing is cool

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Good luck, Mr Gorky.

Wait until we find something in space that we need or need to do something in outer space. Keep funding it. It will be worth every penny one day.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I was having a pleasant evening with Marilu Henner.

5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

6. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

NASA has supposedly found some pristine video of Armstrong that's been lost for 40 years. What we have been looking at all this time was essentially a video filming a screen in Australia, where the download went to (Kind of like an old kinescoped TV show, where they filmed it from a screen live.) They allegedly have found the original download, or something.)

There's a news conference this week to show it.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Was the summer between my second and third year of university.

Saw it with my parents down in our rec room.

Next to the Kennedy assassination coverage perhaps one of the most significant TV events of the last fifty years.

Well, other than OJ and the '67 coverage of the Leafs Stanley Cup Parade. :)

8. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Good point. After all, we might land on the moon again :)

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

My grandmother bought me the superior version from Centuri (the rival rocketry company to Estes) for Christmas 1969, for the then-extravagant price of $14.95.

At the time, my construction skills were somewhat more advanced that finger painting, so I decided to wait until "next summer" to build it.

"Next summer" became the next, and then the next, and the next, and I discovered girls and beer and all that goofy stuff, and 24 next summers later, I arrived in the summer of 1994, cleaning out the closet in my old room at my parents' house.

Here it was, still in the box (I had opened it and looked at all the parts, but happily hadn't lost any of them). I said "what the hell" and decided to take a week or so vacation time to build it. By now, my construction skills were a little more advanced beyond finger painting -- somewhere in the interim I had discovered the revolutionary concept of "following the instructions."

So sure enough, I went ahead and built it. My grandmother was still alive -- by now, she was 98.

On July 16, 1994, we all went out to a park near her house. Out of the trunk of my car, I brought the rocket box. I told her it was the rocket kit she had bought for me 24 years before, but had never built until now.

It was the 25th anniversary of the launch of Apollo 11. I packed the chutes, installed the engines, and hooked up the igniters. We counted down and let Nana push the button.

Perfect flight, something like this:

I think I'll take the old bird out and launch it again this weekend.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I had just bought my first real six-string.

11. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

I wonder how Marilu Henner is celebrating her successful mission. From Wiki-answers (and I can assure you that this happened):

Is it true that Marilu Henner told Bob Costas that she lost her virginity in the shower the day the first moon landing was happening?

It absolutely happened. I saw it about 20 years ago on "Later, with Bob Costas." Marilu said she had the ability remember what happened to her on any date, so Costas threw out July 20, 1969, the date of the first moon landing. She said something like, "you're kidding, right?", "Did someone put you up to this?." Then, somewhat flustered, she told the story about how she lost her virginity that day, standing up, in a shower.

Note: I watched the show. (Can't find the clip on YouTube.) My recollection is that she said--I lost my virginity (pause) in Chicago (pause) in a hotel room (pause) standing up (pause) in the shower. Costas plotzed.

o-<

12. I was 15, vacationing in Maine for the summer and dating a Canadian girl. I insisted on us watching the moon landing and Armstrong's first steps. She thought I was hopelessly geeky. But still kinda cute. ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted