1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

40th anniversary of the moon landing - July 20

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by OnTheRiver, Jul 14, 2009.

1. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

It's more than an excuse to break this out:

http://www.members.shaw.ca/rlongpre01/moon.html

Last I heard, the shuttle program was coming to an end next year. People don't seem as interested in space exploration as they once did. And heaven knows we could use the money in other places these days.

Still, it just doesn't seem right not to be looking for the next horizon.

If there's an old timer or two on the board who'd like to share their July 20, 1969 experiences, I'd love to read them.

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Never happened.

3. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

The Lord loves a conspiracy theorist.

4. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

OK, slightly NFSW

http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/onion_imagearticle2505.article_0.jpg

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I was about six weeks shy of my third birthday that day so I don't remember any of it.

I have vague memories of watching coverage of a subsequent launch and one of the recoveries though.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

"We can put a man on the moon but we can't bomb a tiny Asian nation into the Stone Age?"

7. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I'll believe it when I see it in butter:

http://www.iowastatefair.org/entertainment/butter-vote.php

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

i was 12. it was an awesome moment in history. we were much more wide-eyed then, even as far removed from the '50s as it was.

that said, i see no reason at all to keep pouring dollars needed here into further space exploration. imho, few give a darn anymore. let's try winning some battles here on earth, please. ::) ::) ::)

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I lived and breathed that stuff. Cut out all kinds of Life magazine moon photos and glued them to my bedroom wall (much to my mother's chagrin).

Had a model Saturn V rocket . . . but could not afford the Estes version that would actually blast off.

Even though I had such an interest, on Jan. 20, 1969 I was playing softball with my dad at the time of the landing. Not sure why I wasn't glued to the TV. And at 10:56 p.m., I remember being horribly disappointed at the poor resolution from the TV pictures from the moon. Those "animation" images just looked so much better. Guess that's the kind of images I was counting on seeing.

Of course, Alan Bean destroyed the camera on Apollo 12, and there was no landing on Apollo 13, so I was beginning to think I would never see any decent pictures from the moon.

And I always kept my stomach full of these:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I wonder if I'll see the soundstage when I take the kids to the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum.

11. EE94

EE94 Guest

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

One of the many pieces of "evidence" that people use who say it was staged was that "there are no stars visible in the sky from the moon."

Of course there are no stars visible. It's daytime there, and the sun's intense light blocks them out.

"But the sky is black! There should be stars!"

No. Just because you are CONDITIONED to seeing stars when the sky is black does not change the fact that the sun's light prevents you from seeing them . . . no matter what color the sky is.

Draft saved Draft deleted