1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Fantasy Baseball thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PhilaYank36, May 2, 2007.

1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

After realizing how many people on this board are in fantasy leagues, here's a thread just for such a subject. I think it would also help keep other threads from being jacked by people bragging/complaining about how one of their players is either kicking ass or getting their asses kicked. Plus, with the on-going Eisen thread, maybe it'll help things that a fairly-mature (read: no boobies, jokes about the recently deceased or bigoted slurs) thread about sports is introduced.

That being said: guess who feels like being a jack-ass for not starting both Phil Hughes and Chris Young? Yup, this guy. 0-5 start, here I come!

2. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Start Phil Hughes for the next 4-6 weeks and you'll be 0-15

3. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I have the distinct feeling that I'll be 0-15 regardless.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Thanks for starting this, PhilaYanks. If nothing else, we don't have to hear from the anti-fantasy baseball police when we post this stuff as we do on the regular baseball thread.

Besides, now I have somewhere to post my request for trade advice. I'm in a 9-team keeper league in which we protect 14 players each year. The expansion team is offering up Justin Morneau, but he asked for Jeremy Bonderman and Mark Teahen in return.

Now I don't mind overpaying slightly for a star player and I could use a long-term option at first base, but is that too much for Morneau? My starting pitching is deep, but a little shaky with injuries (Felix Hernandez and Rich Harden being my No. 2 and No. 3 guys behind Peavy).

Thoughts?

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Bonderman is inconsistent and Teahen is good but won't score or drive in a ton of runs in that lineup.

Plus, it looks like you're stacked at SP.

Get him to throw in some SB's or something and I'd take that deal...

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I am in a 12-team keeper NL-only league.

You want to see a thin lineup?
    Here are my starting pitchers: Oswalt, Suppan, James, Nolasco, Belisle, with Vaden Hurk, Billingsley in the wings.

That's right, I was excited for the return of Nolasco.

I am starting So Taguchi.

I have a vested intrest in Neil Walker, Colby Rasmus, Franklin Morales, Carlos Gonzalez and Cesar Carrillo because they are my minor league keepers.

I love this league.

It's an auction league and we sign players to long term deals if we feel the need. I hope to have a long relationship with Prince Fielder and Dan Uggla since they came up through my team.

7. 93Devil

Great guys will ALWAYS hit.

Great pitchers will usually get hurt.

There is always an Ian Snell out there to be grabbed, but rarely a 40 HR 120 RBI guy on the waiver wire.

8. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Were you smoking crack when you made your draft, or did everyone ahead of you draft exactly who you were targeting?

9. 93Devil

It's an auction. I'm not going to spend $50 of my $260 on one player. I spent $26 on Dunn and kept Oswalt for $29. I have Jack Wilson for $10.

If I have a minor leaguer mature (Prince for $7 right now) and I choose to sign him to a long term deal (I could get him for $29 a season for the next four years if I choose or $24 a season for the next three) then I have a real bargin.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I'd like to share my extreme displeasure with Bobby Abreu. Fucking worthless. Carry on.

11. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

If your team starts out 0-5, when is it appropriate to start the fire sale?

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

immediately.

Draft saved Draft deleted