1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

401Ks

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by rpmmutant, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Good point. I don't know why companies bother to give employees a salary, either. They should be grateful for getting in out of the cold for eight hours a day.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, simply, when you had to offer incentives to hire good people, this was just one way of doing so. If you didn't do this and salary was all you offered, then a competitor could get the talented person by offering more.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, except you're way younger than me, and I have way less saved for retirement than you do. I'm going to have to do a hell of a catch-up between 55, when the child/college support ends, and when I retire, which based on the way things are going will be when I'm 80.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Don't sweat it, S_F. If all goes well you'll die before then and the bastards won't get the money out of you.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Considering the lifestyle you commented on, if you get to 80 and you're eating dogfood because of your savings woes, you should just smile and thank various internal organs for having carried you to that impoverished point. ;D

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I've thought of all these points, believe me.

Plus, at 80, my plan is to be the cart guy at a local golf course.

That's assuming the current ones don't live and work until they're 107.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

My retirement job is going to be driving the customer-service shuttle at one of the local car dealers. Provided there still are car dealers, of course.

8. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I am 31. I have a 401 (K)

But at this point, my retirement plan is a heart attack at age 42. That's all the life I have money to cover ...

9. bob

bob Member

for what it's worth, Gatehouse just announced the end (excuse me--"suspension") of its 401k match, although to call it a "match" was a joke. It was a small fraction of the employee's contribution. But for a company that's probably going bankrupt, this comes as no surprise.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'm not sure why we get health insurance, vacation, sick time, disability coverage, life insurance, or mileage. We're all just greedy bastards who are taking money out of CEO's pockets.

11. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Why so cynical? They said they would resume the match when the economy improved. Sort of ironic for us considering the concessions on our end during union negotiations last summer just to get a 401K.

12. Brookerton

Brookerton Member

My paper doesn't match 401K, so I don't see the point in joining their plan. Any suggestions on which 401K companies to go with?
    T Rowe Price, John Hancock, Fidelity, other?

Draft saved Draft deleted