1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

401k question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Feb 5, 2009.

1. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

You get 7.5 percent of my salary? That's bullshit. No wonder I'm broke.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I always choose to tap into a banker's salary!

3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Into a 401k or another kind of account? That $17,500 figure is more than what's allowed for just about everyone.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The max for employee contributions was capped at something like $15,500 last year. Employer was allowed to contribute up to $17,500. Also could be technically somewhat different than 401-K under tax code as we're non-profit.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

They still match UP TO 3 percent.

You put in six. They match three.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

That's my advice. It has been my experience that 401k's are pretty limited.

Don't most employers offer some sort of payroll deduction plan. The handful of newspapers I've worked for offered one. My current offers five.

7. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Inky, you can research the quality of the mutual funds which are your probable 401(k) options at a site like Morningstar. If your company offers high-quality investment options, stick with the 401(k). If not (eg, the expense ratios are too high), go with spnited's rollover advice if they'll let you roll over while you're active.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Stay in. Its forced savings and you will not notice it because its pretax dollars. Yeah the past year has been a total shock but in the long run, if your plan is diversified, the returns will come back and you will be glad you did.

Draft saved Draft deleted