1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

401k matching

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Are there any newspaper companies that have resumed 401k matching?

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Once again, this is not restricted to newspaper companies. Thousands of companies in all industries have eliminated 401k matches.

3. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Ours sure hasn't and to make matters worse, my buddy who owns 4-5 convenience stores said he matches 4% for his employees.

Are you kidding me? We have it worse than people working at a convenience store?

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Not a newspaper, but my company matches 100 percent up to 3 percent, and half up to 6 percent. Pretty standard as far as I can tell, although my final newspaper job matched 100 percent up to 4 or 5 percent, I believe. I could be wrong, though, but I think that's right.

5. RustyHampton

RustyHampton Member

Gannett never stopped matching in the 401k

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

No, they just canned 2,000 people

7. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

That wasn't the question.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

I understand that wasn't the question but the 401k match doesn't do a whole hell of a lot for the people who don't have jobs anymolre.

9. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

Gannett's matching plan actually got better in the last couple of years. I believe it used to be 50 percent match up to a 6 percent employee contribution. Now it's 100 percent match up to five percent.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I don't work in newspapers anymore, but my company started 401K matching in August of 2008. They changed their mind and eliminated it in December of 2008.

They just started it back up again. They will match 25% of the first 1% we contribute.

For me, that comes out to about 15 bucks a month at the most.

My wife, who is not in media, gets a 6% pension AND a 50% match up to 4% (and makes a lot more than me).

I will stay married to her.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It did, but they froze their pension..

They used to add a percentage of your salary to each year that you worked there. The longer you worked, the higher the percentage.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

With a four-year vesting schedule.

Also, if a company suspends a 401k match, it isn't a 401k is it?

Draft saved Draft deleted