1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

401-KO'd

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Oct 7, 2008.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I just looked at mine.

What are the chances I'm going to get a bailout?

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

My point is 2001 is when the bubble burst. Things looked bleak then.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Same as mine...

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Mine's down big time, but I'm 35 years from retirement so I really don't give a shit.

5. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

The Nikkei 225 was down over 9 percent at midday Wednesday in Tokyo; London and New York could be in for another bad day. Hold now, don't sell, unless you're cashing out because you absolutely need the money right now. But don't buy yet, either. We won't know the bottom is the bottom until it's past. Then buy into a rising market.

6. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

I'm in the same boat as an under-35 guy. Fuck it. I don't think this society can make it to 2040 anyway.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I'm looking at 8,000 as the bottom.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Up 130-ish, right now. Opened down, but rose quickly.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Mine is down $400 from the beginning of the year. I don't make much anyways, and I only put 1 percent of my pay in, with company match, just to make sure I save something. As is, it's fading away anyways.

10. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I finally steeled myself and looked. I'm down about 20 grand from the summer. I went online and reallocated, more into bonds and the one stock fund in my plan that wasn't doing quite so badly. Can anyone out there who wasn't an English major, like myself, tell me if I more or less did the right thing? My thinking last week was not to move, but I came to feel I had to do something.

11. Upper Tupper

Upper Tupper Member

If you mean he pulled it all out and it is now sitting in a bank account, or similar, taxes will be taking a big chunk of it.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

There are no guarantees that we are at the bottom. I sincerely *don't* believe in addage "invest it and don't think about it for 30 years". Your 401k is going to be most people's biggest asset outside a house. It should be tended to constantly, like a garden.

The "experts" who say sock it away in equities lost people 30% this year. Forget the experts. If you feel comfortable with what you did, good on you.

Watch the financial news
    http://finance.yahoo.com/?u is a surprisingly good source.

Stay away from experts. Stay away from CNBC. Look at trends. Look at the economy. Trust your gut.

What kind of bond fund is it?

Draft saved Draft deleted