1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

401-KO'd

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Just wondering if anyone has received their quarterly 401-K statements yet and how much they've lost or gained.

I haven't gotten mine yet, but last quarter I paid in $645 and lost $115. And I don't have one penny going into stocks.

A lot of people are going to get a shock when they go to the mailbox this month. That's just one place where Wall Street and Main Street intersect. A lot of voters are gonna be even more pissed when they find their retirement savings drained.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My wife got her statement yesterday - about 800 put in and the value was down more than a grand.
    So much for our plans to scoot at 55.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

55?

Ahhhh... my fantasyland scenario that died a long, painful one 8 1/2 years ago for me.

The funds are buying stocks on the cheap right now.

We could still pull out of this malaise in a year/18 months, and the account could explode upward by 2012.

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Everyone's getting killed, so don't think you're the only one.

If my account went down only three figures, I'd throw myself one hell of a party to celebrate.

5. we can check ours online anytime

at one point i had i lost over $5K in a few hours

pretty funny

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Man, this is a depressing thread...

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Same boat here. The idea of retiring at 55 left the station around the time of the first Bush recession but I figure I still have a decent chance of a strong recovery over the next 12-15 years before I cash out and downsize. I feel for the folks who had retirement plans snatched away over the last nine days.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Just awful and scary.

Really legitimizes the thought of transferring to money market at 55.

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Lost $40k year to date and more than $10K in the last week, despite moving money to different 401k funds.

A guy at the gym last week was talking to his friend about "bank stocks" and I thought they were going to start crying. Then they started talking about dropping $15K to $20K in stocks and flipping them days later on the short rebounds, so I knew their bank accounts weren't hurting.

10. - 25.7% for the year. I don't have much in it, though, to begin with, and I'm draining it in a few months here anyway.

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

just checked mine...
    through yesterday's close I'm down 27.9% for the year (that's 40k despite putting in about 12k)

12. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Put my 401K in a guaranteed 2% fund in May.

Draft saved Draft deleted