1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

400 jobs; 10,000 applicants

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deskslave, Jan 11, 2008.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I really like going to the bathroom in Wal-Mart.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

your boy's findings are far, far from empirical, so far, i think you probably should look into what the word actually means.

and logic such as "Firm growth, employment and total earnings were somewhat stronger in Wal-Mart counties and, in some cases, even in the retail sector. The research does suggest that retail earnings per job fell in virtually all counties studied. But they actually fell by less in Wal-Mart counties" is fucking stupid.

his logic suggests wal-mart creates an environment instead of having economists study and decide what communities wal-mart should erect stores. i'm not impressed.

what about the bigger effect wal-mart has on communities? i mean fuck, why not simply look close to what we know -- newspapers. how much money in advertising has wal-mart cost newspapers?

you might call what wal-mart accomplishes as capitalism, but we all know the tactics these fuckers took to "lower prices" never would have been accepted if we wouldn't have had a president from arkansas -- company headquarters -- and a right-wing, lovin' corporatate america fuck of a president we've had in office for the past 15 years.

fuck wal-mart, fuck david glass and hell, fuck sam walton. those cocksuckers (walton's soul) won't be happy until they create an america chock full of service-level employees who rely on the government for food stamps and medical care.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

These folks don't think the government should be in the business of entitlements like food stamps and medical care.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

nay, these fucks rely on it. otherwise, the cattle they hire to perform their tasks of collecting money couldn't be carried out. being able to eat and stay healthy, two things they don't provide employees, is essential to showing up to work day after bitter day.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Despite Ragu's defense of Wal-Mart and his belief that over the long haul they've had a more positive contribution to North American society than a negative one, let's look at some other facts.

Their aggressive anti-union policy is a direct result of state and federal anti-labour laws including the Orwellian "Right to Work" legislation. Wal-Mart has an organized system in place to bully workers who even talk of organizing a union. The fact is that Wal-Mart can intimidate workers because of weak labour laws which don't enforce the basic right of freedom of association.

US labour legislation goes against the international standard of prohibiting replacement workers in the case of a strike. This plays right into Wal-Marts hands.

People who routinely express pro-union sentiments are harassed, intimidated and in many cases, fired.

Wal-Mart has been fined repeatedly for child labour violations in their stores.

Labour violations in factories producing Wal-Mart products are commonplace.

They routinely force workers to work "off the clock" including breaks and overtime.

Doesn't sound like a good corporate citizen to me.

And this is one of my favourite examples of Wal-Mart's "corporate responsibililty"

In 1985, Wal-Mart began a “Buy American” program. According to a company release,
    the retailer “asked American manufacturers and suppliers to mutually consider a ‘Buy
    American’ plan of producing and buying U.S. products to help reduce the balance of trade
    deficit.” Wal-Mart founder Sam Walton said, “Our company is firmly committed to the
    philosophy by buying everything possible from suppliers who manufacture their products
    in the United States….We must insure that American manufacturers continue to be the
    entrepreneurs that provide the fuel that drives our economy"

Gee, what happened to that?

Well, what happened was that close to 200,000 manufacturing jobs, mostly well-paying, were lost between 2001 and 2006/ Ragu's assertion that it was due to incompetence, "corrupt" unions (wow!) and government interference is facile to say the least.

http://www.epi.org/content.cfm/ib235

If Wal-Mart has contributed to anything, it's the U.S's trade deficit, which is increasing year by year.

A continuing trade deficit points to one thing: the US. becomes a third world economy supplying raw-materials to other countries, who then ship back finished goods.

And part of the cause of this can be directly attributed to Wal-Mart.

So, the 10,000 people for 400 jobs doesn't look all that shit-hot, does it?

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

What happened to the "Buy American" policy is that Sam Walton died and the company became a much different creature than what it was when he was alive.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I grew up in Chicago, and then the suburbs, and had never heard of Wal-Mart or Sam's Club until at least the mid-1990s. How have they been able to infiltrate everywhere in the last 10-15 years?

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I understand what happened to it. Doesn't justify it in my opinion.

Let's also look at the fact that Wal-Mart employs more people than any other company in the United States outside of the Federal government, yet the majority of its employees with children live below the poverty line.

It goes back that old saw about "no free lunch".

Everyone is going to pay for shitty wages and those cheap lawnmowers somewhere down the line.

The other strategy that Wal-Mart employs is to saturate a market with more stores than it can support, eliminates the competition, then closes the least profitable stores.

This strategy has been employed in other industries, notably the book business in Canada where Chapters would open say, four big box stores in a community, knock out many independent retailers and then close two of the four stores.

The net result is less choice for the consumer and less competition.

9. And a bunch of empty, blighted stores ...

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Doesn't Wal-Mart money go a long way toward supporting University of Missouri athletics?

http://sports-att.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=1763836

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2285986

Just sayin'.

NOTE: While this post asserts that a lot of Wal-Mart money goes to the University of Missouri Tigers athletic program, it is not meant in any way to say that Missouri's other programs benefit from such money. Missouri is well-known for having a great journalism school, yes. But my post is no meant in any way to imply a connection between Wal-Mart money and/or business practices, and the current state of the journalism industry. Thank you.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Piotr,
    It's not Wal-Mart corporate money.

It was (at least from my reading) a personal donation from the Laurie family

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I haven't called anything capitalism. That is something others keep bring up on here. I've just pointed out the obvious. 10,000 people are eager to be hired for 400 jobs in this one place, and that was without WalMart even advertising the jobs. There are reasons for that, namely that Wal-Mart is actually creating jobs, whereas the industries those people once belonged to have seen their jobs evaporate for a number of reasons. The larger effect of WalMart that I have pointed out is indisputable, though. The company has almost single-handedly kept inflation in check in this country by bringing down the costs of people's non-discretionary items. This is a benefit we enjoy because of WalMart that Europe doesn't. It's particularly stark, because so many other costs have outpaced inflation by an incredible amount, including the cost of health care, so it baffles me why people are so eager to demonize a company that has more effect on people's spending power than any entity in this country over the last two decades.

I'm sorry, man. I don't find "Fuck WalMart. Fuck Sam Walton. Cocksucker, blah, blah, blah" a very compelling way to evaluate the effect the company has had on our economy--in particular the spending power of the average American. If you care to put away the knee-jerk, think rationally, and read about things that are actually quantifiable, my suggestion is that you google "WalMart effect." The phenomenon has actually been given a name by the economics community, because the company's positive effect on inflation, and the corresponding boon to people's purchasing power has outpaced the decrease in real wages (wages adjusted for inflation) we have seen since the mid 80s.

As for the "tactics" you are talking about, I'd appreciate it if you elaborated. WalMart was way ahead of other companies in using technology to track inventory and keep overhead low. They have been singularly successful in using their leverage to negotiate better pricing from suppliers. Those are "tactics" most businesses wish they could replicate. It's how people running businesses earn money. You reduce your costs and maximize your profits. There is nothing immoral, illegal or wrong about that. And there is nothing forcing any supplier to do business with the company, if it is not an arrangement that benefits the supplier, just as there is nothing forcing those 10,000 people applying for jobs to want to work there. They may be crummy jobs, but the thing is, they are actual jobs. The industries those people came from, along with the corrupt labor unions that aced them out of jobs by trying to use non-existent leverage--right up until those people's jobs were exported overseas--are the ones you should be demonizing.

I'm sorry the reality doesn't fit nicely with the knee-jerk "fuck WalMart" which allows you to demonize a company that 10,000 people are eager to work for in that locale when there are only 400 spots. I personally think those numbers say a lot more than the knee-jerk "fuck WalMart" posts which are critical of a company offering jobs that people are clamoring for. Those people are dealing with reality. You're dealing with a non-existant world in which companies don't try to maximize profits and pay people more than the free market dictates. The irony is that it's those attitudes that killed off the industries that those 10,000 people eager to work at WalMart were laid off from.

Draft saved Draft deleted