1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

400 jobs; 10,000 applicants

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deskslave, Jan 11, 2008.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DON'T SHOP THERE.

If you truly cared, you would buy retail, paying full price of only American-made products products.

2. At the rate our industry is going, any one of us.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I don't shop there. Never have.

Not that your comment has anything to do with the topic at hand, but that's not new.

And there are very few "American Made" products. Wal-Mart made sure of that.

4. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

All right, y'all quit hating on Wal Mart. Of course, all of us college-educated, white-collar types are too good for a life of humiliating working conditions, laughably low wages and shitty benefits. But, it's good enough for a bunch of slobs down in Georgia, I think. And if they try to unionize, well, then they're the ones to blame for sweatshops in South Asia.

Besides, I really like the way chicks look in Wal Mart's new "Gunt-anamo Bay" line of women's apparel.

5. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

Same thing happened at the first Wal-Mart opened in Cleveland city limits.

6. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

not quite the demographics of that area

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Y'all dump on Wal-Mart all you want, but I am applying to be a greeter.

I already like to loiter and leer. Why not get paid for it?

8. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Will you ask the Plain-Dealer to be a reference?

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Good idea! I'm standing in front of their door every day as it is!

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

1) I am not "defending" anyone. Fine. They treat their employees "like crap" and the wages and benefits aren't "fair." Can you be any more imprecise? Of course, 10,000 people showed up for 400 jobs, so your definition of "fair" is not in line with what Wal-Mart has to pay in order to attract a workforce to man that store. Rationally, what they are offering would seem fair given job-market conditions, because demand for those jobs far exceeds the supply. If anything, I'd guess they could offer even "crappier" conditions and drive the demand down to 5,000 people. And as crappy as they treat their employees (something not easily quantified--needs to be pointed out again), again, 10,000 people applied for 400 jobs. As I pointed out, there is a reason for it. People need jobs. No one else is offering them. If you think WalMart is doing something immoral, step up and offer those 10,000 people jobs that you personally consider fair. No one is stopping you.

Between mismanaged industries, a flagging economy and corrupt labor unions that don't understand the word "leverage" (what unskilled workers don't have) and have thus "bargained" away jobs to Asia, the villain shouldn't be WalMart for actually running a business that is creating jobs (with the even bigger benefit that they are saving people money and have a huge impact on the economy by helping to keep inflation in check). The villians should be the people I mentioned in the sentence above.

2) Wal-Mart has no responsibility to anyone but it's owners who run a business to profit. By profiting, they have actually benefited the U.S. economy more than any single private entity over the last 15 years (read on). They have eliminated grocery stores, eh? Wal-Mart didn't do that. Consumers did. SHOCKINGLY, they'd rather shop at Wal-Mart, where they can get their goods more inexpensively. Through technology that has boosted productivity and its ability to shave costs by squeezing manufacturers, Wal-Mart has come up with a model that sells products cheaper. This drives store traffic and has driven the growth of the company. Consumers benefit because they spend less for non-discretionary (and discretionary) items, which leaves more money in their pockets. Why not point that out, when rambling about how crappy they treat people?

WalMart's pricing has helped keep the lid on inflation. No matter how you slice the various studies, since the mid 80s, WalMart has single-handedly given the U.S. consumer prices that are more than 3 percent cheaper than they would have been. This keeps inflation in check, and has been a huge boon to our economy. Even if I concede that they treat that their employees like shit (those 10,000 people lined up fighting for 400 jobs), the money those people have saved cumulatively, thanks to Wal-Mart, has actually more than offset the Wal-Mart wages. By one estimate, WalMart single-handedly has improved the overall efficiency of our economy by 0.75 percent. It has had a snowball effect that has affected other aspects of our economy, including lowering import prices -- something importers have needed to do to compete with WalMart's price, which again, benefits U.S. consumers in their pocketbooks. This has resulted in that more than 3 percent decline in prices (which has kept inflation in check). Nominal wages in the country during that time have decreased by 2.2 percent. Do the math. Wages have decreased by 2.2 percent. But people need to spend 3.1 percent less than they had to, to maintain their lifestyle. So the net effect by 2004 was that people's real disposable income had actually increased by close to 1 percent--almost single-handedly due to the Wal-Mart effect.

The "they are putting grocery stores out of business" argument isn't rational when looked at it with reason. Let those grocery stores compete with Wal-Mart. if not, we're better off with the more efficient entity, because our economy is better for it and people have more disposable income as a result. If more industries ran the way the retail industry is now running thanks to the Wal-Mart model, we'd all be better off and the U.S. economy would see drastic positive changes.

3) "Making sure they are the only game in town," again is something that is impossible to respond to. How exactly do they do this? Uzis or 300-pound thugs with brass knuckles? There is nothing stopping you from setting up shop and trying to compete with Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart is doing absolutely nothing illegal. I have seen the ridiculous claims of predatory pricing, made by ignorant people. But for one thing, Wal-Mart is not THAT powerful. They can't afford to sell items at a loss very long, because they do have enough competition from other national retailers that it will affect the bottom line, and they have shareholders/owners who have their eye on the bottom line. And anyone who has studied any amount of economics knows that predatory pricing, when it has been tried, has NEVER been successful. It's irrational. You have to be able to sustain huge losses for a long period of time in order to drive all business away. And even a very large business, such as standard oil, could not afford to take those kinds of losses for that amount of time, without crumblng. There is nothing suggesting, or proving, that Wal-Mart has engaged in the practice. They are an open book. I encourage everyone to look at their bottom line. They are hardly operating at a loss. Even more persuasive, there has never been a case where predatory pricing has led to a monopoly. I challenge anyone to give the example -- because it doesn't exist. I can give examples of companies that brought themselves financial ruin trying it. But no examples of anyone creating a monopoly by irrationally operating a loss for an extended period of time to drive away competition. And today, there isn't an economist worth his salt, who puts any stock in predatory pricing being something that can actually be pulled off to positive effect. It is, however, a common claim used by companies that either can't, or don't want to, match their competitor's pricing. And it's the kind of stuff that gets thrown around on message boards by people who don't understand the economics involved (not necessarily you, but I have seen it on other WalMart threads).

11. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Ragu, I may be a moron, but I find a bit of a flaw in this argument:

It has had a snowball effect that has affected other aspects of our economy, including lowering import prices -- something importers have needed to do to compete with WalMart's price, which again, benefits U.S. consumers in their pocketbooks. This has resulted in that more than 3 percent decline in prices (which has kept inflation in check). Nominal wages in the country during that time have decreased by 2.2 percent. Do the math. Wages have decreased by 2.2 percent. But people need to spend 3.1 percent less than they had to, to maintain their lifestyle. So the net effect by 2004 was that people's real disposable income had actually increased by close to 1 percent--almost single-handedly due to the Wal-Mart effect.

The 2.2 percent decrease in wages affects 100 percent of the wages...

But the 3.1 drop in prices would only apply to the kinds of goods and services that Wal-Mart offers wouldn't it? Since I don't buy my house or rent my apartment from Wal-Mart or buy my car from them, it doesn't seem as if the 3.1 percent drop in prices is as across the board as the 2.2 percent drop in wages.

I just don't think you can take those two numbers, put them together and simply say there is a one percent net increase in disposable income...

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Your defense of Wal-Mart seems woefully short of specifics, Ragu, and heavy on capitalistic theory.

Their pricing doesn't just threaten other retailers, it has put its suppliers out of business because they demand ever lower prices. They get squeezed by ramping up to supply for Wal-Mart but then keeping the price so low they can't make a dime. But Wal-Mart does OK for itself.

I know you're good as long as Wal-Mart is keeping stockholders happy. But is it OK if others take a dim view of Wal-Mart for it's lack of concern with who it hurts along the way -- be it suppliers, employees, competitors or children who lick lead off their tainted toys?

Draft saved Draft deleted