1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

400 jobs; 10,000 applicants

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deskslave, Jan 11, 2008.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Forget being good enough to work at the Plain-Dealer.

Are you good enough to work at ... Wal-Mart?

I'm not sure what this means, but a Wal-Mart in DeKalb County, Ga., has drawn 10,000 applicants without even really advertising.

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/dekalb/stories/2008/01/10/walmartfollo_0111.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_newstab

2. pallister

pallister Guest

I think it means people want to work and pay bills and such.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

You're not going to get anywhere with that logic, pal.

4. Mr. Homer

Mr. Homer Member

I hear you get really good health care?

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Discounts on NASCAR merchandise I'm sure

6. Mr. Homer

Mr. Homer Member

I'm applying ... ah, applyin

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

but our economy is awesome, just awesome i tell ya.

this has to be a left-wing media conspired hoax. buncha filthy liers.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

And I'm sure out of the goodness of their hearts, Wal-Mart will hire as many people as they can for 38-hours a week.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

How many jobs are you (or anyone else) offering those 10,000 people, 38 hours a week, benefits or not? There is a reason why demand is far beyond the supply of jobs that many people would consider crummy. But make Wal-Mart the villain for actually offering jobs, rather than the poorly-run industries that have seen jobs go poof or the labor unions that have made it so difficult to operate in certain industries that they have helped create burgeoning economies in Asia, while people here wonder what happened to their jobs.

10. ... and they'll still only have two aisles open.

Ragu, there's no defending Wal-Mart just because they're offering jobs. That's really a short-sighted approach. I'm not against capitalism and the free-market, but they treat their employees like crap. The wages and benefits aren't fair.

And you have to wonder how many quality jobs they've eliminated at their competition - grocery stores, department stores, electronics stores - that either have to close down or cut staff to keep up with Wal-Mart. And then there are those who sell their products at Wal-Mart that have fallen victim to its cut-throat business practices.

By making sure they're the only game in town, they've become the 21st century's company store. People in these towns work there and then shop there. Wal-Mart gets all their money.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Ah, yes, Wal-Mart's sub-poverty wages, lack of benefits, union-busting, and employee harassment and intimidation are all signs of a healthy economy and a beacon of capitalism for the developing world.

Let's all tug our forelocks and thank them very much.

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Ok guys, who's getting these jobs? Let's throw some names out there. Anyone know of a young 'effin stud who might be in line for one of these?

Draft saved Draft deleted