1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

40 years ago ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Corky Ramirez up on 94th St., Nov 7, 2010.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Yes.

And they also had some fucked up home field playoff system where the Dolphins were on the road for at least one of their playoff games in their 1972 undefeated season.

Love that old footage.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Given the Dolphs' cheese-cluster schedule that year, it was only fair.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Not only that, Dempsey lined up only two yards behind the ball. No big run at the ball to build up momentum.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm still waiting for Janikowski to shatter that record.

5. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

If you listen to the clip with headphones, you can actually hear his boot hit the ball. It sounds like a cannon.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I thought this was going to be an Edmund Fitzgerald story!

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Crosby.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

ESPN also did several stories and videos on the anniversary:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=wickersham_seth&id=5648473

The funny thing I got from one of the stories. Dempsey only has one of his kicking shoes left. He's given the others away as gifts.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Still two days and five years away from that 40th anniversary.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Geez, is there anything Sid the Kid can't do? :D

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm too young to remember Dempsey's FG, but I've always known about it and been amazed by Dempsey because his story was featured in a children's book I had called Football Players Do Amazing Things.

Someone mentioned this book on the George Blanda thread because he was also featured in it.

Great book: http://www.amazon.com/Football-Players-Do-Amazing-Things/dp/0394826779

12. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

If anyone will ever do it, it will be Seabass. Whenever they're on TV, I tend to watch the Raiders games, just to see Janikowski and Lechler. I don't know where they rank in all-time greatest kicking tandems, but they have to be in contention for the greatest tandem of all time, don't they?

People sometimes slightly bag on Janikowski because he doesn't make 90 percent of his kicks, but given HOW MANY of his kicks come from 50+, it's truly amazing he makes as many as he does. And Lechler...I've gone on about this before but he's probably the greatest punter of all time. On the one hand, it's good that he's been on so many bad teams so he's always got 70 yards of field to boom toward, but on the other hand, a lot of football fans don't know a thing about him because the Raiders have been so terrible.

Draft saved Draft deleted