1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

40 years ago today

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EStreetJoe, May 4, 2010.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I lived in Akron for a while during the 90s on summers away from Ball State. I worked with a lot of KSU students/grads.

It was sad how blase they were about the incident. They treated it with disrespect, a kind of whiny, "Why is this the way our campus is defined? It happened (then) 25 years ago" kind of vibe.

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

That's interesting, Bubs, and kind of depressing.

It's true that Kent State was far from the only campus that saw protests -- there were huge protests in Madison, Berkeley, the East Coast, etc. But the tragedy of National Guardsmen shooting and killing protesters at Kent State was shocking, even for the "silent majority."

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Like Spinited, I was around when this happened. It galvanzied almost every university across the country and moved a lot of people off the fence into the anti-war side.

Someone at the time said something like "You know the country is in deep trouble when we start shooting our children."

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Reading that reminds me a lot of the coverage of 9/11. Utter chaos.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

i almost 13, a month shy of my bar mitzah. i would not get a pre-mitzvah haircut and did not cut my hair again until was 16. there's a connection in there.

chilling to realize it's been 40 years. what an unreal time.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I wonder if any of the shooters are alive. The Nuremberg defense is likely a constant thought if so

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Not quite sure, novelist, how you equate a terrorist attack on this country with the National Guard murdering student demonstrators who posed no physical threat to them.

8. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

[​IMG]

The girl in the photograph, with the photog.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

her name? would read a piece on her.

10. cortez

cortez Member

That's Neil for ya. It's how he's rolled for four decades

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Her name is Mary Ann Vecchio. She was not a student at Kent State but a 14-year-old runaway from Opa-Locka, Fla.
    She's part of this piece in USA Today:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2010-05-03-kent-state_N.htm

And the story I heard David Crosby tell was Young came to his house the night of the massacre, then Stills showed up and within half-an-hour they had written "Ohio."

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I think he meant the coverage, not the incident itself. The Akron story linked -- talk about your first draft of history. It has a reference to a possible sniper setting things off, which endured as a myth for years.

Draft saved Draft deleted