1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

40 years ago today...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by goalmouth, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Wow ... took only one post this time for "assassin" and "Obama" to appear together.

2. In 1973 - Arafat was the head of the PLO and he authorized both the kidnapping of the US Ambassador to the Sudan and his aid and making the release of Sirhan Sirhan a main demand for their release. Arafat was later an honored guest of a US President - Bill Clinton and a "friend" to another former US President - Jimmy Carter. I can see how no possible connection could exist in your blinkered mind.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

rfk woulda been unstoppable winning the democratic nod. would he have whipped nixon? in my opinion, yes, but we'll never know. sure like to believe so.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Wonder who his runningmate would have been.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Mary Jo Kopechne.

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Source, please.

7. Power, Faith and Fantasy: America in the Middle East 1776 to Present.
    Michael B Oren
    WW Norton and Company

Try reading a book you pain in the ass instead of wasting all your time here on this board grousing about George Bush.

Geesh - you're such a dingleberry.

8. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Was RFK even leading the delegate count after California? I thought it was Humphrey, then Kennedy, then McCarthy. Or maybe McCarthy was second. I know there were plenty of unpledged delegates (not every state party used primaries then) to be won.

9. Oh and please list the Democratic Party leaders embracing Hamas today.

Thanks

Before you start...

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5g9Y2ttFryTWPMLxUt26RfmXFQkuQ

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Check out Obama's primary results and poll numbers among blue-collar voters and white voters over, say, 35.

11. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

But Kennedy would have taken the anti-war votes from Gene McCarthy and I don't think Humphrey really wanted to be there in the first place. Although HH did have the support of unions because he was the "mainstream" choice. RFK also had the black vote which could have put him over the top. Nixon won a 3-way race by just over 1-percent of the popular vote--largely based on the fact he said there would be "peace with honor" in Vietnam.

Or I could just be talking out of my ass since I wasn't around for any of it. (although I have read up on the issue a bit)

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

You mean like in Iowa, Wisconsin, Oregon, Montana, Minnesota, Maine and Nebraska?

Draft saved Draft deleted