1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

40 years ago today...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by goalmouth, Jun 5, 2008.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

...Senator Robert Kennedy was shot by an assassin shortly after delivering his victory speech following the California Democratic primary. He was weeks away from being nominated for president at the national convention in Chicago.

I see a similar groundswell of support for Obama that Kennedy had generated, one that cuts across races and classes.

"For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, that might have been.” -- John Greenleaf Whittier.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I read a book when I was in college that was about how things would have been different if RFK hadn't been assassinated and if he'd been elected instead of Nixon.

It was pretty interesting.

3. People forget the reason Bobby Kennedy was killed.

He was killed by a Palestinian on the first anniverary of the Six-Day War.

In 1973 the PLO kidnapped the US Ambassador to Sudan - Cleo Allen Noel and his assistant - George Curtis Moore. Freeing Sirhan Sirhan was one of the main demands made by the kidnappers. Both Noel and Moore were shot and killed.

The Democratic Party leaders embracing leaders like Arafat or Hamas today is a slap in the face of the memory of Bobby Kennedy. Yet nobody remembers or maybe they don't care?

4. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Or maybe no one else makes that ridiculous connection.

5. ...And Republicans buying a ticket to see a movie featuring Jodie Foster is a slap in the face to Reagan's legacy.

6. Mizzougrad96

Would RFK have beaten Nixon in 1968? I know he wasn't even a cinch to win the democratic nomination.

I don't remember. I was -5 at the time.

7. Mizzougrad96

Post of the day... :D

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

What's ridiculous about that connection?

9. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

You're right. It's no more ridiculous than criticizing Bush for embracing the nation that produced most of the 9/11 hijackers and continues to finance anti-American terrorist groups.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Anyone embracing Arafat needed their heads checked. He's a terrorist scumbag no better than OBL.

The same goes for many of our Saudi "allies."

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Good point. I'm sure the first thing Obama will do after being inaugurated is break off diplomatic relations with Saudi Arabia...

12. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I'm just saying, using this logic, both acts should be criticized.

Draft saved Draft deleted