1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

40-year-old coach marries 16-year-old student

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by beefncheddar, Jun 22, 2007.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Shotglass let us in years ago about some of the tribulations he was having with his daughter, and I wondered about whatever happened - thanks for the update.

But a teenage girl deciding school isn't her bag, and a teenage girl being pursued, and caught, by a predator (I have no doubt thats what this creep is) are two separate things.

What a complete nightmare for this family - they lose their daughter to a predator, and as an added bonus, their family dirty laundry gets to be dissected by literally hundreds of thousands of people across the world on message boards just like this. Rod Serling couldn't have dreamed this up 40 years ago on his best day.

2. people need to stop thinking of a 16-year-old girl as an adult capable of making rational decisions on issues like this

this is why there are laws to protect kids and why the parents must sign a consent form -- god knows why they did -- to allow such a marriage

poor kid, hope she gets her life back

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Paris Hilton. Lindsay Lohan. Britney Spears.

All adults who are batting about .035 in the "rational decisions" category.

Age really has little to do with it, other than in a "what's legal?" sense.

I was a conservative square at age 16. I'm a conservative square at age 46.

Sure, some people "mature" naturally. Most, however, have to go through the penalty phase of making wrong decisions before anything changes.

And as unseemly as it all is, at least Windy has a husband and a legal piece of paper giving her some rights. And as far as we know, she's not pregnant. The pregnant 16-year-old at the local high school whose 19-year-old boyfriend has run off is in worse shape than Windy, IMO.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Exactly. People arguing for the parents letting the kid go keep using the fact that 16 is the age of consent there as an argument. Well, the law also says that parents must sign that consent form, that the 16-year-old is not ready to make that decision on her own yet.

I never said she should be locked in her room or sent away to a convent. I said that the parents should not have signed the form. By doing that, they were signing off on the relationship. And if you don't think the 40-year-old pedophile is selling it that way to his 16-year-old victim, you're kidding yourself.

And argue 16 all you want. He started this chase when she was 14. He's a pedophile. PERIOD. I'm amazed at the lack of outrage over his behavior here.

When I was talking about confrontations and more aggressive approaches to the situation, I wasn't talking about doing that with the girl. She probably does have issues and does need her parents' support. Though to be honest, I could see a perfectly healthy 16-year-old kid thinking they were mature enough for an older man. Teenagers can be arrogant. They think they are indestructible and they absolutely believe they know more than their parents.

You refuse to sign the paper. Then you confront the lying pedophile and try to set things right.

5. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Thank God I'm having a son is all I can say.

And while I wouldn't cut his balls off literally, I would defnitely threaten his life and scare him into leaving my girl alone. And then I would get her into some therapy. And then maybe a chastity belt.

6. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Virgin? Yeah right. She was probably on her back so much she strapped a Murphy bed to her back.

7. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

Yeah, I've got one like that, too. He's 19 years old. Good kid, but right now he's the smartest person in the history of the world and I'm the world's biggest dumbass, which leaves a humungous abyss between us that I can't seem to be able to clear right now.
    I guess Mark Twain was right when he said:
    "When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years." -

Someday that poor girl will realize the mistake she made and she'll have to live with her regrets. We all make them at age but most of us don't have to deal with signifcant regrets from those mistakes.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Has Chris Hansen from Dateline NBC had a talk with him yet?

9. Only in America can things like this happen. Gotta love it.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Living it, Bill. Nothing could be truer.

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Really? I beg to differ. Go bone up on your marriage rituals and traditions around the world and report back.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Google "honor killings" for a taste of morals on the other side of the world.

Draft saved Draft deleted