1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

40 things every self-respecting man over 30 should own

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

If the stereo is a Pilot or Fisher don't Goodwill it. Tube heads pull the amps. Google it if you ever decide to sell/donate it to see the value. Some are very desirable.

Late here, but I'll be back later.

Dooley, sleep tight..

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

A mostly funny list of stuff that I don't have (other than the turntable, of course).

But I object to the umbrella.

The places I've lived, an umbrella would be destroyed quickly because most of the times you would need it — when it's really raining — it would be destroyed by wind gusts.

I go with the Columbia-style raincoat and, if needed, rain pants. Layers work. Umbrellas don't.

3. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

"She", Dick???

I have 11 of the 40 and no desire to own any of the rest.

Wallet? Why? I have perfectly good pockets and it confuses the hell out of muggers when they demand something you just don't own.

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

So very much these. Having recently packed up my life and moved long-distance (again), I shudder to think how much more complicated that would be if I actually paid any heed to this materialistic horsehockey. I have stocks (mutual fund), a flashlight, multiple towels, a passport (two, actually), playing cards, sunglasses (14-year-old prescription lenses) and a solid book collection (on my Kindle). You might notice how all those fit neatly into a backpack or duffel bag. Much of the list is irrelevant to me as I don't drink coffee or alcohol, so I guess I'll never measure up to True Manhood in the eyes of Justin Abarca and BuzzFeed. Pity.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Hello, welcome to Buzzfeed.

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

This, for the most part, is a good list.
    Some screams Douchebaggery.
    The rest says: "Don't be an interesting person, just look like it."

7. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I have no need for a French press, but I make sure my wine chiller is stocked with good French vintages.

8. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

I've got 30, though that counts a wallet that is coming apart and a watch that needs a new battery at the moment.
    Don't have a French Press, Mr. Coffee works just fine, thank you.
    Don't have a double-hinged wine key and frankly I have no idea what would make that particular tool better than the corkscrew I do own.
    Also the weekend bag I own was swag from covering the Gator Bowl and any time I actually go on a weekend trip I use an old backpack from college.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Just my stuff, the count is 21.

If I combo up with the stuff she has and I can include the black and brown Cole Haans I have, it goes to 35.

Black suit, French press, record player, wine thingie and bar set.

10. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Went back and did the count. I have 19 out of 40. I'm 32 and married, so I have the basics like nice bedding, multiple sheets and towels, and dishes. Also some things in the flashlight/tools category. And a Leatherman is more than a big knife. It's a nice little multitool to have around for the small things.

But French Press, fancy wine bottle opener, useless status stuff you really don't need.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

OK, but like the turntable: They are neither useless nor merely pretentious status symbols if you like coffee and wine.

12. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Does Poin log on weekends? Poin, check in. Lay the lumber so I know it's you.

Draft saved Draft deleted