1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

40 things every self-respecting man over 30 should own

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Oct 4, 2013.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Why are record players "cool" but VCRs aren't?

2. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

I own three VCRs!

Not kidding.

Also tube radios, Victrolas and an ipod. Actually two ipods.

Poin, as Dick said there is new music being released on vinyl. You need to keep up and put away the broad brush.

Nothing wrong with listening to both vinyl and digital. I do. What does that make me now? More or less pretentious?

And for the record, I'm in my fifties, so hipster doesn't apply to me, but I do like some of the new-fangled music the kids put out these days.

I'm going to a happy hour. Carry on.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I looked up the top selling vinyl records selling today after seeing dick's post. Its a bigger selection than I had previously assumed. I consider myself updated. I'll keep my opinion on the pretentiousness of it to myself.

In no way is it one of the 40 things every self-respecting man over 30 should own.

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I do keep a working VHS on hand for a simple reason. Video tape is a tangible thing. It plays every time. For some of the more important life moments (wedding, births, early moments), I will keep them on VHS, even as I've converted much to DVD and thumb drives.

5. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Now you just sound like a hoarder.

6. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Minus the tools and the jumper cables, this is the douchebag survival kit. The duct tape is for pinning down the passed out girl after you've slipped her some rophenol at some swanky martini bar.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I'm waiting for Sony to make a Walkman turntable that doesn't skip before I start buying records again.

8. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I have 32 things off of this list, and I am neither male nor over 30. I think I even have the exact cast iron skillet pictured.

Ironically, one of the things that I don't have on this list is an ironing board and iron.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I think I have 36 of the items, but a couple may require a ruling.

I do not have a French Press but I don't drink coffee.

I do not have a Leatherman but then I'm not in too many knife fights.

I do not have a cast-iron skillet but I have many other skillets that do the same thing without needing a hot pad to touch the handle.

I do not have a flask but I have many other portable and concealable containers for booze.

I do have a good, black suit. It has light-grey pinstripes and it's not tailored, though it fits well.

I do have a passport. It is currently expired. Does that count?

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I still have a pretty big record collection. I bought a turntable that plugs directly into a USB port on my computer so I can make mp3s of my albums. The only vinyl I've bought in the last 25 years has been stuff that's not available on CD or online.

About half of the list is ridiculous.

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

No self-respecting man over 30 would find said self-respect through material possessions alone.

12. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I have 29 and am not male. I don't drink wine or coffee, so that knocked off a few.

I do have two passports, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted