1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

40 killed in India terrorist attack

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

When did Bombay change its name?

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Of course, Bombay has always been Mumbai; it was Anglicanized when the British took it over in the 17th century.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I used the facilities at one of these places. Hell, we were planning on going there for an extended visit next month.

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I bet you can get a good rate now.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Madrid happened about 3 or 4 a.m. here, possibly the same for London. The overnight network news shows already were on the air, so the comparison is a bit skewed.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

And another wave of attacks this morning. India's PM is saying the attackers could be based outside of the country ... of course, he's gonna say that.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/11/27/india.attacks/index.html

7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

This story is getting much less coverage than it deserves, just like the bombings in Bali. Maybe these attacks aren't on the scale of September 11, but in terms of what this means in the war against terrorism/Al-Qaeda, they are just as significant.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Elliotte, the attack on the USS Cole got relatively little media attention in the US. An attack that nearly sank a US warship! The motto of cable news, and by extension all US TV news, is that if it doesn't happen within sight of the studio, it hasn't really happened.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

It's a good thing Obama is a clandestine Muslim. He can help smooth this situation.

10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Michael,

You are right about that one. The New Yorker did in incredible article a few years ago about how that attack led one American CIA operative to uncover plans about the 9/11 attacks -- and why that warning went nowhere.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

This should be getting A LOT more coverage. One part of me is glad it's not because the fear-mongers in our country would be running riot.

12. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I wish I still got CNN International, especially for things like this. CNN's OK, but then they'll hold up real coverage to have Larry King interview Britney Spears and ask her opinion of the crisis.

Damn Dish Network took away my CNNI.

Draft saved Draft deleted