1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

40 hours of doing something else...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by doubledown68, May 14, 2009.

1. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

So the mothership, in a move many of you are more than familiar with, dropped a sweet 40-hour furlough on us this week.

I'm looking for temporary work options for a couple reasons.

1. I can't afford to just lose all that time.
    2. To stick it to the man. If they want me not to be there for 40 hours, I'm going to give them what they want.

I plan to call some landscapers and see if they need a week-long temp, and I've got a few other irons in the fire as well. Just wondering if any of you have done anything similar in that situation.

I'm not Bartles or James... but I thank you for your support.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

How much notice did you get about the furlough? Was it dropped on you all of a sudden, or did you have ample time to find a temp gig?

3. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Start a pr0n Web site.

4. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

No rumblings, no nothing until Monday. Just a nice little gift via e-mail.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Beats the permanent furlough a lot of people at my place got.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Man. Three days notice? That blows.

Tis the season for yard work, though. I'm sure you'll find something there.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I've mentioned this before, but my sister owns a few bars in my hometown, so I'm spending my five-day furlough working for her. And enjoying a long Memorial Day weekend as well. :)

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

When is your furlough?

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

We had the same thing in my office, though they had the decency to give us a two-month window and let us pick a week. I took mine last week, though all I did with the time was hang out with the family and relax.

The forced furloughs are bad enough. To do it with such limited notice and no flexibility truly sucks.

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Just go to the local Randstadt office and stand out on the sidewalk. Apparently people find work that way.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

During what normally would have been vacation last March, I took a 2-week temporary job in the ticket office at the Sony Ericsson Open tennis tournament.

With the layoff ax hanging over me, I decided I simply could not enjoy the tournament as a fan this year as I had been doing the previous 15 years. So I made a little extra money, made a couple of contacts, and stayed busy and kept my otherwise job-depressed mind occupied.

At least they didn't consider me "overqualified" and ignore me.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Is your sister single? Um, a friend was just wondering.

Draft saved Draft deleted