1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

40 Billionaires To Give Away Half Their Wealth

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ilmago, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

This is pretty inspiring. 40 of American's billionaires have pledged to give half of their wealth to charity:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38556042/ns/us_news-giving/?ectid=bitlyified080420101318

http://givingpledge.org/

The key idea here being that this was their choice. They did this out of the goodness of their hearts. Not because they were forced to. I don't believe people should ever be forced to do something like this, no matter how rich they are. Giving away your own possessions should always be your own choice.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is all thanks to capitalism and serious work ethic. Say what you want about the rich, but until you've given away billions, you can't say a single person on this list is less charitable than you.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

If a couple of them gave to newspapers instead, many problems would be solved.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Very cool story.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Nope. They would just continue to bleed money.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm not going to knock anyone who gives to charity. And I agree that you would get more bang for the buck having $100 mil granted by private interests than the same amount spent by a public agency.

But I don't think it will take much effort to figure out that everyone on the list benefitted from some government tax break, loophole or exemption.

It is cheaper to be rich than to be poor.

I've got to think there will be a growing job market in helping rich people give away their money.

6. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

What an awesome story. Very nice to see.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It's actually 41. Tiger Woods just gave away half his wealth too.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Win.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

In which case they're creating a cottage industry and employing people. Win-win.

10. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I hear the Rumpleforeskin Human Fund is a great charity to which to donate.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Please go find some more articles so you can condescend to me.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Word, TSP. Larry Ellison in particular could give away 99.9 percent of his wealth and he would still rank among the world's top five most egomaniacal assholes. And he would still have $28 million to live on.

Draft saved Draft deleted