1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

40,000 See Vander Meer of Reds Hurl Second No-Hit, No-Run Game in Row

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I don't have my Jays' media guide handy, but Dave Stieb pitched two staright games where he didn't give up a hit until the ninth.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If he was any good, he would have struck them (Julio Franco and Jim Traber) out.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

http://www.baseballlibrary.com/ballplayers/player.php?name=Ewell_Blackwell_1922

Fuckin' Eddie Stanky again.

4. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Way back in the day, quotes weren't used nearly as much as they are now.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Also way back in the day, sportswriters were more buddies with the players than they are now.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

In Ryan's next start after his no-hitter on July 15, 1973, he carried a no-hitter until one out in the eighth against the Orioles before giving up a single to Mark Belanger.

The only other time he even flirted with it was in 1975. After he no-hit the Orioles on June 1, his next start against the Brewers he took a no-no into the sixth before giving up a two-out single to Hank Aaron.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm no expert on the topic but the game started at 9:45 and was played in 2:23, so it ended just after midnight.

That could have been a reason for the lack of quotes.

One more question: He walked 8 batters. I tried to look it up, but I'm curious to know how many pitches he threw.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

No it's not. Most gamers from that era don't contain quotes. Very, very rare to see that.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I doubt if pitch counts exist anywhere for any games before the 1970s (and probably later).

10. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Also way back in the day, sportswriters were paid more than they are now.

11. Of course, to actually actually <i>break</i> the record, someone would have to throw three in a row.

Draft saved Draft deleted