1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

4 Years Later, Race Is Still Issue for Some Voters

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, May 4, 2012.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, and you're a non-partisan, independent, moderate, right?

2. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

I dunno, Starman. I've been hearing a lot lately about how racist the Democrat Party is.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

You're agreeing with Starman.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

He's not wrong. When Republicans make statements or take stands that would be construed as racist, it's disappointing, but not surprising.

Does it surprise you?

Where did you ever get that impression? I have my views, and with the exception of abortion, nearly all of them are liberal. I've never voted Republican in my life.

That said, I also think both sides need to bridge their differences from time-to-time and work together for the common good.

Feel better?

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I'm not surprised by racist Democrats, either. Or hypocrites.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Speaking of racism...

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Same here.

One of my best friends is a registered Democrat and has voted straight ticket every year she's been able to, but did not vote for Obama in 2008 and will not vote for him this time.

She says it's not about race, but she was raised in what's no around my neck of the woods as one of the most bigoted and racist families.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I'm sure your best friend appreciates you assume she's a racist.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Are we seriously criticizing YF for posting a presidential campaign piece that was above the fold on A1 of the fucking New York Times?

That said ...

YF, if a story on Republican racism was that thinly sourced and anecdotal, you'd have issues, and rightly so. It reminded me of the Dem version of Maher's piece on Mississippi. There was like one line in there about how racism was tough to detect in polling, and that was that. Onto more anecdotes.

And I don't doubt that there are racist Democratic voters, especially in the working-class, old-school labor bloc. But I learned nothing from that article. Nothing.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

You got people who don't want Obama because he's black.
    You got people who don't want Mitt because he's rich and a Mormon.
    You gotta love the United States. Perhaps we should removed the word United.

Draft saved Draft deleted