1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

4 years ago today - October 14, 2003

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by D-3 Fan, Oct 15, 2007.

1. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

A certain individual fan was blamed for altering an important game in Chicago, Illinois.

For the one millionth time, it was not his fault. (EDITED for Doc.)

That's all I will say.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Didn't matter. Wasn't his fault.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I was at the funeral of Steph and Graham Davidson, two of the world's great artists of the world taken too soon from us.

We're still taking care of Deeoge, Steph and Graham, wherever you are.

4. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Always thought it was Alex Gonzalez's error that really cost the Cubs.

But everyone chased the Bartman angle, and the circus rolled in.

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I know. I never blamed him for what happened. But if you know those idiotic myopian Cubs fans will never get over it and will always blame Bartman.

If Alex Gonzalez didn't bobble the ball in front of him, among several other on-field events, the Cubs would have the fucking pennant.

And now, Dusty's the manager of the Reds? Heaven help them.

6. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Well, the media certainly helped fan the flames, didn't we? All we heard and read for days and weeks was Bartman, Bartman, Bartman. Some cooler heads did throw in the other stuff, but most of it got lost in BartmanGate.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I've never blamed Bartman.

Alex Gonzalez can fuck off and die though.

8. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Crisp, clear, right to the point. I like it.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I was at work laughing my butt off at Alex Gonzalez and Moises Alou.

10. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Did he ever take up that one person who offered him a place to stay in Florida somewhere after this all went down?

Did he change his name or how would anyone on SportsJournalists.com react if he walked into your office seeking employment?

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Actually the bobble was after the Bartman incident.

And, not that I think about this inning on a regular basis or anything, Dusty Baker deserves an even bigger fuck you for not having anybody warming up in the bullpen to start the inning. Prior should have been out of the game after Castillo's at-bat.

12. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

From Wikipedia:

Bartman gained instant national attention, most of it negative or derogatory. Many websites spoofing him were created, and late-night shows such as the David Letterman and Jay Leno shows made him the subject of many jokes. (Letterman did state, in Bartman's defense, that one play alone cannot account for two straight losses.) Illinois governor Rod Blagojevich went as far as telling the Chicago Sun-Times newspaper that "[Bartman] better join the witness protection program." Multiple editorial cartoons showed Bartman in hiding with Osama bin-Laden and Saddam Hussein. In the days following the incident, Bartman received offers to do movies or talk shows because of his sudden celebrity status. He declined all such offers.

ESPN did air a live interview on SportsCenter with a person claiming to be Bartman, but it turned out to be a prank that fooled the network. Bartman was also offered asylum by Florida Governor Jeb Bush where Marlin fans viewed Bartman in a more favorable light. Bartman was also reportedly offered a job with the Florida Marlins, but Bartman rejected both offers.

In a gracious act, Bartman donated the numerous gifts given to him to the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation in the name of Ron Santo, a former Cubs third baseman turned broadcaster who suffers from diabetes. Calling this his "final statement," it seems Bartman intends to return to obscurity.

Bartman said, "I look forward to, and expect to return to my normal life activities, including cheering our beloved Cubs toward many more exciting postseasons of play."

Draft saved Draft deleted