1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

$4 toast and the ruin of San Francisco

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Nov 7, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/4-toast-prompts-housing-petition-4962002.php

Pretty funny take on what has become of the city we all (OK many of us) loved at one time, at least as a visitor. In short, too much money.

The initial article appeared on a blog in August, which the writer began by noting how much his breakfast had cost him:

http://venturebeat.com/2013/08/21/4-toast-why-the-tech-industry-is-ruining-san-francisco/

It got renewed life this week when voters rejected a luxury housing development along the water. The development would have closed off the bay view to everyone who didn't pay the projected $5M price to developers who envision the Embarcadero as a kind of new Gold Coast. (This is where the Warriors are trying to build their new waterfront arena, and the developments suggest they won't have such an easy time of it.)

The $4 toast is a proxy for how unaffordable San Francisco has gotten, of course. If you can't get into the $1.5M range, don't even bother looking for a house there. And kids? Forget it. SF has the lowest percentage of children of any city in the United States, far lower than Manhattan.

There's a petition to change this, and ostensibly it focuses on affordable housing, but I don't know that anything can change about it. However, it is completely true in that the city just isn't what it once was. There's no weirdness, no hippiedom -- there might be some traces that are pre-packaged history lessons of sorts, but nothing real as far as arts or music or restaurants or anything that might have once been celebrated as "street life."

A lot like what I understand Manhattan has become.

2. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I wonder how much I would need to tip the bathroom attendant at a place that serves $4 toast.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Manhattan and SF are essentially resort destination for the 1%ers

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Serious question: How far away do the people who serve the $4 toast and the overpriced coffee live from their jobs in S.F.? And how do they get between the two places?

Both the distance between what the working class and "bourgies" earn and the distances between where they live is getting ridiculous.

As someone who (I think) still lives in San Francisco once wrote, "We can be together ... tear down the walls!"

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I tried to move back early in my career and ended up turning the job down because I would either have to spend a shitload on rent or spend forever commuting. In hindsight, it probably wasn't the smartest thing that the only people I really consulted about a place to live was a friend who lived in Burlingame and my uncle, who lives in Fremont.

I was working in a pretty nice city at the time and I just had a hard time justifying moving somewhere where my rent would have been doubled and I was going to have to spend so much time commuting.

I love the area though.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

There is some rent control in the city, but I think "roommates" is the answer in a lot of those cases. Or living in the East Bay (Oakland has something of a hipster community with the low rents).

A lot of this is pretty recent, so that's something that bears watching.

7. Mizzougrad96

My cousin had a crazy rent control deal there for awhile. She was paying less than $1,000 for an apartment that was in a pretty prime area. There were some baseball players who lived in the same building who were paying 2-3X what she was for the identical apartment.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Loved in when we were there years ago when Huggy Jr. was seven, never been to a more kid-unfriendly city in my life.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Let's stick to the expensive toast, and leave the fancy coffee out of this.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Four dollars for toast? That's bread warmed up all crispy? You don't put bourbon or nothing on it?

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

My closest friends moved there a year and a half ago and I've been more than a handful of times to visit. It is obscenely expensive. And they bought a place, and while it's nice, it doesn't measure up in terms of the price they paid. Still, I love S.F. A lot. But it takes a lot of Boudin dough to live there.

12. Mizzougrad96

I remember my friends were paying $2500 a month for a two-bedroom in Burlingame. It was a cute house and had a garage, but it was basically one decent bedroom and a tiny, tiny second room. They had nothing resembling a yard. I've seen similar houses in nice cities for $500-$700 a month. I spent a ton of time there as a kid. We lived in Santa Barbara, Glendale, Santa Clara, Fremont, Redwood City and Sacramento and it seemed to get progressively cheaper every time we moved.

Draft saved Draft deleted