1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

4 Police Officers Shot After Traffic Stop in Oakland

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Really? Hard to tell based on how many threads you climb into with your shopworn anger schtick. And if I'm stalking, you're the easiest person to stalk in human history based on thread profligacy alone.

Oh and I like cupcakes, I like a lot of things, you should try it sometime ... liking things. Perhaps you can eat a few of these while you shutter yourself in your house, presumably, to headbutt another anger hole in one of your walls.

[​IMG]

(When you Google image GRRR!, it comes up with some weird shit)

That's enough for me, Zag. I will concede that you did manage to drag me down in the stupid for a while, so take some satisfaction in that as I walk away.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

However, depending on the context the word "explain" can be seen to rationalize or empathize the taunting. And that would, objectively, be wrong and misguided, which is different from excusing the conduct.

So, if someone will explain why the taunts were directed at police who had nothing to do with prior incidents of possible excessive force, without seeming to rationalize or empathize the taunters, please do so.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I didn't have to drag you down in the stupid, you are stupid and you are a loser who stalks people while trying to claim that you are really ignoring them.

I mean seriously, count how many times you engaged me in conversation and then count it vice versa - I'll let that record speak for itself.

You are like a little nerd who wants so badly to be accepted and just can't find it.

And I'm really sorry that I insulted the towel waving, clipboard holding loser jock sniffing managers on the end of the bench as I am quite sure that was a job you wanted more than anything in college and just couldn't find anyone to give it to you.....

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. zagoshe

It doesn't matter -- "they got one of ours, we got foe of them muthafucka's....." is apparently a sound rationalization, errrrrr, sorry, explanation for vigilante justice in liberal America.......

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

The same reason boos are directed at an entire team when only some of the players are playing like shit. The same reason readers call in and yell at the copy editor who answers the phone when he's pissed about the reporting of a story.

People find it more convenient to direct their anger at institutions rather than individuals. It's not personal. It's not rational. But when you work for an institution -- when you "wear the uniform," so to speak -- it's something you have to deal with.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If your only idea is to write everyone off as defective people, then you have no way of stopping the problem. Maybe arresting everyone who does it or something and hoping no one in the area notices the Constitutional problem.

If you choose to understand the causes of the action, you see that the tauntings are the extreme end of the symptoms of a problem, and you can find ways to fix the problem.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Which still doesn't justify/explain/excuse the behavior of the people taunting the cops. Zag is off the rails but that doesn't mean he's wrong.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Then, what does explain it, A_QB? Why did they do it? What was their point, if they had one? What was their reason, if they had one?

9. zagoshe

Unfortunately we've spent the last 40 years trying to fix -- translation funding psychobabbling bullshit solutions which do nothing EXCEPT rationalize deviant behavior -- problems instead of making people understand that "problems" are not acceptable behavior.

I'm by no means a "lock em up and throw away the key kind of guy" but I do think there is acceptable standards of behavior in society and everyone - regardless of color, creed, race, religion, socioeconomic status, levels of poverty, lot in life -- everyone, should be held to the same standard.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

In general, things are better than they were 40 years ago in just about everything I can think of, so I'm cool with that.

11. zagoshe

Yes, it is "cool" and proves you are "keeping it real" in that community when you act like an asshole towards authority -- and therein lies a big part of the problem.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

They hate The Man and will never, ever respect authority no matter what OPD does to attempt to improve relations.

Draft saved Draft deleted