1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

4 Police Officers Shot After Traffic Stop in Oakland

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Mar 21, 2009.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Yes, it can be explained like this -- the same way shooting cops, looting and rioting can be explained -- they are sick fucks who deserved to be locked up REGARDLESS of what their excuse is.

There is no other way to slice it.

If you are taunting dead cops or cops getting shot -- you are a sick fuck and have no place in decent society.

I just don't get the willingness by so many of you to try and "understand" or "explain" away behaviour that is deviant and not at all acceptable on any level.

2. Again the point is missed.

Do you understand the difference between the word "explain" and the word "excuse?"

3. zagoshe

The point is NOT missed.

There is no explanation needed.

These individuals who are tauting cops are sick fucks and deserve to be locked up because they have no real place in decent society.

That EXPLAINS it loud and clear.

I can't make it any clearer than that.

I understand Joe Williams and company aren't trying to EXCUSE the behaviour, I've made that very clear, but the problem is they are looking in the wrong places for the EXPLANATION of it because the only rational explanation is the one I've just told you -- they are sick fucks.

It takes a very sick and delusional person to taunt police officers -- or anyone -- who just got shot and are likely going to die.

4. zagoshe

And this is the ridiculousness I am talking about -- they are just twisted individuals, no matter how many different ways you try to put it into context. They are sick and twisted individuals, period.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Life is way, way more complicated than you've convinced yourself it is.

6. Have you seen the videos of the BART cop shooting the kid in the back on the platform? I won't post them here. But it was everywhere on the 'net within a few hours of the shooting. Google "Johannes Mehserle video."

It's terrible. Don't watch it if you have a weak constitution. An inarguable tragedy for everyone it touched. The officer left the force and has been charged with murder. He's out on a $3 million bond, awaiting trial.

Doesn't "excuse" anything.

Perhaps "explains" a little of it.

7. zagoshe

No, not really.

Liberals would love for us to all buy into that "there is context" shit to rationalize, err, I'm sorry explain and understand bad behavior, but unfortunately for them, most of the time, in fact the overwhelming majority of the time, things are as they seem and the reality is what it is and if individuals are doing something wrong it is because they are just thugs and criminals.

And the larger reality is that if you are taunting people - especially people whose job it is to protect and serve you and who risk their lives every day to do it -- who just lost their life or are on the verge of losing their life -- then you are a sick son-of-a-bitch and you deserve to rot in hell, or a jail cell, whichever you get to first.

8. zagoshe

I see, so the same group of people who are always whining about stereotypes and being profiled because one individual who looks like them may or may not be bad -- have no problem profiling all cops because one may or may not be bad?

Yep, that sounds reasonable and rational to me

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

No one said it was reasonable or rational.

10. zagoshe

What if the officer did reasonably believe he pulled out his taser gun. Would that change the context?

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

GRRR!

12. Perhaps. I think it might help people understand, a little, what happened that night.

I think the BART officer still goes to jail, and rightly so, for something like involuntary manslaughter.

I think the tension between black residents of Oakland and Oakland cops still remains high.

It's a terrible, terrible tragedy, from beginning to end.

Draft saved Draft deleted