1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

4 Police Officers Shot After Traffic Stop in Oakland

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Mar 21, 2009.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

You are trying to find context for people killing four cops.

That is all I need to know about how twisted this world is, because people like you are interested in finding excuses for behaviour that is deviant and unacceptable.

I don't give a shit about their so-called justified anger, they are sick individuals.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

zag: that wasn't the context at all. Please stop.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

If I had a life savings, I would have bet it all that this thread would end up exactly where it is.

4. zagoshe

Well then please explain to me why the Joe Williams of this world need to try and find some sort of deeper meaning every time one of these things happen.

I'm so tired of rationalizing murder and violent crimes in general.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Because there is more to life than doing everything you can to separate the world into "us" and "them."

There's nothing wrong with condemning it and understanding it.

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

But then how would we know where to direct our anger?

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think he was rationalizing the shootings but trying to rationalize why some of the crowd may have reacted like they did.

8. imjustagirl

But you're missing the point. This has nothing to do with rationalizing the shooting of the cops. As someone said, if people just randomly stopped on the street and taunted cops after that with no backstory, it would be harder to understand. But that there has been tension between the two sides somewhat explains WHY the taunting happened.

Saying that doesn't in any way excuse the taunting, say it's understandable or anything else like that. It's not. But the backstory helps explain it.

EDIT: JC beat me to it.

9. zagoshe

I'm sorry if I don't "understand" the need to kill someone (other than in self defense), much less a cop - or four cops for that matter.

We have all been wronged, we've all had things happen beyond our control and somehow we all deal with it without burning down our neighborhood, looting and/or killing cops.

10. imjustagirl

Which again has nothing to do with anything being discussed. I've tried. I quit.

11. A thing, in this case the taunting, can be "explained" without it being "excused." Simple, really.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Of course it was.

Draft saved Draft deleted