1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

4 Police Officers Shot After Traffic Stop in Oakland

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Mar 21, 2009.

1. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

From the story:
    Bystanders had mixed reactions. Nicole Brown said that she can't condone murder but that police don't respect residents of the area.

Too bad that's too complex a position for some people on this board to comprehend.

Throw her in jail. She's criminally insane.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

No, not really. If you are marching in a parade to celebrate the life of a cop killer -- you are a sick fuck, but that is your right and you should not be thrown in jail.

And while I think Michael Savage is an asshole but he has a point -- I'd love to see some of these police-hating people go a few months without the police.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

She wasn't marching in the parade. She was a bystander.

4. You'd think someone who lived in a neighborhood filled with maching gun toting teenaagers would be more open minded.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I grew up in the East Bay, spent more than a few years working in Oakland and I was down there the last week visiting family. Couple of things to point out.
    The area where this went down is a very, very, bad neighborhood in a small corner of the city. Never even knew that part of Oakland existed until I covered a few games there and saw what some of the athletes I covered had to deal with on a day in, day out basis. That said, the people defending the killer are in the tiniest of minorities. And it's probably even smaller now that Mixon was id'd as a child rapist. There are more people busting their ass to make Oakland a better place than any place I know. My old next door neighbor who is an Oakland police sergeant and knew those killed well, said the police department has never known how much support they had in the community until this week. Of course the media is going to look for the "opposing view" no matter how inane and ignorant, and give it more weight than it deserves.
    Oakland is very similar to The Wire, if you've seen that show. It's problems are deep and systemic, the hope down there is that this will serve as a rallying point for the community. The political leadership has been lacking, the economy is a struggle, but people aren't giving up.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What makes it a bad neighborhood? Poverty doesn't make a neighborhood bad, crime does.

If anything, they should be complaining that they don't have enough cops in the neighborhood. Yet, many of them choose to make the police the enemy.

The criminals are the enemy.

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

A little more from Michael Savage:
    1) The mainstream media has swept this story under the rug. (That's funny, I heard about this story through the mainstream media)
    2) The mainstream media is defending the "subhuman" who shot the cops. (I guess that's subject to interpretation, though if anything other than referring to the shooter as scum, subhuman, evil, etc. is biased toward him, than I imagine it's true).
    3). The police were not allowed to have their weapons drawn when approaching the vehicle because it would make the person in the car "uncomfortable" and the ACLU, Copwatch and other groups would complain. (I don't know what to make of that).

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Wow. Someone who actually has some real-life perspective and presents a real face on the situation, the good and the bad....and you essentially shit on what he said. Nice.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Savage is an idiot. If anything, the story was surpassed in the Bay Area by six members of a family being shot in a murder suicide, or eight people getting shot to death in a North Carolina nursing home.
    I guess I should also point out that an Hispanic member of the SWAT team missed being number 5 by inches, residents of the Oakland neighborhood who saw the shooting rushed to the aid of the motorcycle officers and performed CPR while others called police. Like I said, there are good people there. Don't know if I would have had the stones to go running out to the street after two cops were gunned down moments after being shot by a guy who clearly didn't give a crap about anyone. Thanks for watching my 6 Alley, seems like whenever you have an event like this, people will try and use it to push their own agenda, whatever it is.

Draft saved Draft deleted