1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

4 Police Officers Shot After Traffic Stop in Oakland

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Mar 21, 2009.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Horrible story. But what is with this:

That's just sick.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Damn. Hope those cops make it. Doesn't sound good.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Gawd, that's awful...

4. YankeeFan

This report says all four were killed:

Unbelievable.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Those are some quality citizens right there.

6. dog428

dog428 Active Member

If you read the story posted, it says there have been several violent protests after the shooting of an unarmed suspect earlier this year.

Not saying that makes it right. Just saying they didn't show up out of the blue to taunt.

7. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Awful story. I don't really expect much less in Oakland, California, though.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Very true. That BART incident has led to some very violent protests recently against law enforcement.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Google "Oakland + riders" and you will read of four cops who decided they were basically going to re-enact their own version of Training Day, Internal Affairs etc. The city hadn't really healed from that before the BART thing happened. A BART cop, different agency from Oakland but not really all that different in the eyes of the public, shot and killed an unarmed man who was lying on his stomach. The police commissioner's office played hide-and-seek for a week while person after person took their cell phone videos to the local TV station. Only because of those videos did the cops finally own up to what happened. Without the videos, there is no doubt in my mind it would have been written up as "perp got aggressive, cop tried sanctioned restraint techniques, perp got free, gun went off."

There are a lot of questions to be answered on this one. Random traffic stop goes that bad? Could be, but the police agencies don't have a huge reservoir of goodwill and credibility. That recent David Simon story about police reporting, or lack thereof, has echoed in my mind since I first heard this news.

10. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

A random traffic stop of an ADW parole violator who's got a gun with him goes bad? How could it go well?

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Just read a story saying three have died. Is it up to four?

12. YankeeFan

It looks more like the earlier report was erroneous, but then I just looked at the SF Chronicle's site and while they say that three are dead, they also include this quote from the Governor:

Draft saved Draft deleted