1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

4/21 HIMYM

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Good episode ... until the end.

Didn't like that. Not. At. All.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

In theory, I don't have a big problem with the idea of Robin and Barney getting together (it's nowhere close to as egregious a mistake as Rachel-Joey), but it's way too soon in the series to do it.

Barney is at his best as a womanizing narcissist. To put him and Robin in a relationship would rob him of his likability because he would either A) Be a good boyfriend and not cheat on her, which would make him less entertaining, or he would B) remain the same womanizer, thus killing any goodwill with the audience because while we don't care about the random women he beds, we're supposed to like and care about Robin's character.

3. Inky_Wretch

You're absolutely right.

But I suppose they can save it, if in the next episode we learn they didn't sleep together.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I love this show, but I thought it was one of the least funny episodes of the entire series.

The writer, Kourtney Kang, who penned the original "Slap Bet" episode, whiffed on this one.

It doesn't surprise me that Robin and Barney hooked up, but I agree that it's:

1. Too early
    2. Robs Barney of his coolness
    3. Creates weird drama with Ted
    4. Comes off as too "Friends-ish"

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think it's going to end up being a meaningless hook-up. One or both of them will be freaked out for an episode or two and then it will be lost except for the occasional reference in future episodes.

Or they'll stay together and fuck up the show.

6. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Does HIMYM = How I Met Your Mother?
    I've been trying to figure that out for weeks.

7. Inky_Wretch

Yes.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Well crappity crap.
    Tivo had a hiccup and didn't record the episode, so I missed it.
    Sounds like I wouldn't have been pleased with the show either.
    Robin and Barney?
    WTF?

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It kinda made sense given the context. As much as this has the potential to be bad for the show in the long run, I felt like it made perfect sense for the characters to do that.

10. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

I agree that Robin and Barney can't be a long-term thing..... it totally robs Barney of the potential to be a shallow (yet lovable) womanizer.
    I saw the ending coming a mile away - although I really did enjoy "Sandcastles In the Sand." Great video - especially with the cameos from Tiffany and Alan Thicke.
    And James van der Beek as Robin's sleazy ex-boyfriend was genius... much better guest-star casting than Britney Spears.

11. The Dude Abides

The Dude Abides New Member

What I see happening is this:

We start the episode with Robin waking up, as Barney is trying to sneak out of her apartment. After an awkward conversation, he leaves, and Robin spends the rest of the episode torn up about how she is going to tell Ted. At the end of the episode, she is about to tell him, but Barney stops her to tell the real story of what happened. As it turns out, Robin passed out while they were making out. Barney carried her into bed, tucked her in, and went back out to the living room to watch the video for the rest of the night. The whole "seduction" was a trick Barney played on Robin to find the tape, which he has stolen, and now plays for the rest of the group. Because as much as Barney enjoys the meaningless hookup, he will ALWAYS pass over an opportunity if it gives him the chance to embarrass his friends.

12. Inky_Wretch

I don't know Dude. Perhaps. I'd be OK with that.

If they actually had sex, it could be the shark-jumping moment of HIMYM.

Draft saved Draft deleted