1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

3K: It ain't just a number

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mayfly, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

3,000 posts. Wow. That went by in an instant. This board has provided me more than I could have wanted.

It has allowed me a chance for rejuvenation after several mistakes on my part. And for that, I thank you.

This board got me my first professional writing job, freelancing for an NCAA tournament. And for that, I thank you.

This board helped me land my first lengthy professional writing job in a beautiful part of the country with a great first editor. And for that, I thank you.

This board grabbed my ass out of the first full-time non-writing job I had out of college. I knew that I didn't want to be a paper-pusher for some corporation, but the money seemed right and I stayed. It slowly hit me that, no matter the money, I couldn't stay with something that I am unhappy. We decided to part ways and this board helped me stay on the up-and-up. And for that, I thank you.

It gave me an opportunity to meet some of the quirkiest, but most interesting people with whom I would have the pleasure of coming in contact. And for that, I thank you.

Those same people gave me an opportunity to explore New York City through a different set of eyes and to test foreign waters. And for that, I thank you.

This board let me have an opportunity to cover a Major League Baseball game as a youngster, with many of the players in the clubhouse, my own age. I learned from that experience, and implemented several of those lessons in my mind. And for that, I thank you.

This board helped me land my first full-time writing gig at a place not far from my first professional experience. I am growing as a writer and as a person on my own. And for that, I thank you.

This board has helped me grow as a writer and even though it's hard to tell, as a person as well. I have branched out and done things that I probably would have done anyway, but I had people to help me along the way. I hope to see many of you in the future either in the press box or in the clubhouse. That is why they call it the future; you don't know what will happen.

And for that, I thank you.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

3. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

nice post and congrats.

4. I thought I saw a stirring there on the far distant horizon behind me.
    Congrats, Fly of May. I hope your next 17,000 posts are as lucky for you as the first 3000 have been.

5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Wow, now you have a movie named after you (Mr. 3000) just like BYH (8 seconds)!

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

May, you have ruffled feathers (your Suzy Eisen post got you into some hot water), but it's been a pleasure getting to know you in the virtual world.

Getting props from royalty such as Fenian is good stuff.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Mayfly is a lucky guy. I don't think I've ever even had a conversation with Fenian, but that is OK because I steer clear of the political threads.

8. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I have never talked to F_B, but I assume it's a compliment of the highest order.

9. Aw, shucks.
    Always glad to congratulate people on the landmark posts.
    3000 is, after all, a magic number for the baseball HOF.

10. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

That is true. 500 doesn't seem as promising these days.

11. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted