1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

39th Ryder Cup

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by trifectarich, Sep 26, 2012.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Did they talk about Jack this way when he was on the downswing too?

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Probably not because Jack's idea of a good time when he was at the top or on the downswing was to go home to his wife and children.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I am old enough to remember that any year when Nicklaus didn't win a major in the '70s brought out a rash of "Is Jack Through?" stories.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Very true. Happens to everyone.

The real difference I have noticed with Tiger this year is putting. His ball-striking is still pretty darn good, but he doesn't make the medium to long range putts with the frequency that he used to.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

There is one golfer in the world who has had a better year than him.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

By the standards the real world uses, there are at least four. Also he is third in FedEx Cup points, behind Rory and the unstoppable Brandt Snedeker.

Tiger = good golfer. Some weeks, very good. Not an intimidator. And he finished 36th in putting.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Please tell me you don't believe that the if you win a major you have automatically had a better year than someone who has won 3 times and contended more often than not. Is that your real world?

On your second point I agree with you. He will never be who he was, not sure anybody will be but he is still one of the best golfers in the world.

8. LongTimeListener

I'm only using Tiger's standard, the one that has been drummed into us since he was a pup. Yes. I think Ernie Els looks on his year with more satisfaction than Tiger does.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

As individual’s they might, but on a whole, do you or does anybody really believe Els was the better golfer this year?

10. LongTimeListener

Sure. Five top-10s, $3.4M in earnings and a major? That's not bad.

Tiger won $6M and three tournaments but no majors. He also faltered pretty badly when he did have a chance to reel one in. The world doesn't really care who won The Memorial.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Under the Tiger standard, the only number that matters right now is 2008, the last year he won a major. In 2009 he won 9 times I believe but lost to Yang. Still a great year but a lost year because no majors.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

So you believe right now Els is playing better golf than Woods, fair enough. I'll take Woods.

Draft saved Draft deleted