1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Don't give up

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by m2spts, Mar 30, 2007.

1. m2spts

m2spts Member

This being out of work is a totally new experience after all these years. I ventured out of my comfort zone (sports for news) and got bulldozed by local small town politics and hateful special interests.
    But I encourage anyone in a similar situation to keep your spirits up, as difficult as that may seem, and ask for help.
    This board is a great resource and there are some awesome people here. We're all friends and we're all here to help. And if you get the job I want, then I'll move on.
    Thanks everyone. Now I got to send out another resume.(m2spts)

2. boots

boots New Member

Good luck my man. It doesn't matter how many times someone says 'no', you just need one to say 'yes'.

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I'll second boots' good wishes. Here's hoping you have good news soon.

4. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Firm believer in everything happens for a reason. I know quite a few people who have been without jobs for 1-6 months, and then they seem to find the perfect job. Hang in there.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Sometimes the solution will come from a totally unusual person or place. Keep your head up so you don't miss it.

6. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

also, take some chances. a buddy of mine was unemployed for months. his unemployment was about to run out and he still didn't have a gig. then, he spent all of his cash to go to a convention and job fair and got lucky enough to find a job as a result.
    so, i guess, take some chances, but not too many. and hang in there.

7. boots

boots New Member

Whatever you do, don't stop believing in God and yourself. Everything will work out. Trust me.
    Another thing. People tend to put their noses down on people who are unemployed. It's as if they have a fatal disease. Just keep hanging in there.

8. Huggs4Thuggs

Huggs4Thuggs New Member

Thanks for that post m2. It couldn’t have come at a better time for me. My situation isn’t quite as pressing as yours due to the fact that I am currently employed (it’s Satan’s asshole, but hey it’s a first job). I’m young, and don’t pretend to know everything there is to know about the business, but it seems that I’m having more trouble finding my second job than I did finding my first. I have to get out of here soon, my frustration is about to hit its apex! Any advice from anyone would be great.

9. boots

boots New Member

Read the above threads.

10. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

Not to rain on any parades, but knowing people sure seems to trump talent. So how do folks like the fellow who started this thread and others overcome that problem?

11. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

You know what? You're going to find that next job, M2. You will.

And when you do, and you're depositing that first paycheck from your new employer, you're going to look back at this time with pride that you gutted out a shitty episode, made the best of it, and perservered.

Just hang tough and ask the Good Lord for some patience.

12. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Patience or a new boss. Amazing what some fresh air at the top can do to lighten the outlook.

Draft saved Draft deleted