1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Going to an interview ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rhody31, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

My first one in quite some time actually - a weekly in my area finally opened up a spot which means I have a chance to be full-time in the biz.
    SEs, what are some tips to ace an interview? What should be avoided?

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Prepare. Prepare some more. And then really prepare.
    Know the paper, the people, the area.
    Don't go in with bullshit and a smile. Prepare. It will be noticed. You can't hide it either way.
    If you are asked to critique, be honest. Point out the bad, and the good. Don't just go in and rip. Don't blow smoke up their asses either.
    Oh yeah.
    Prepare.
    And then prepare some more.

3. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

All those wasted years ...

4. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

Wear a suit.

Maintain eye contact.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Wear good shoes.

6. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

YOU'RE HIRED!

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I've actually gone to the trouble of buying and reading travel guides, looking at census data, reading projects on the paper's Web site, searching CJR for stories about the paper and asking questions of people who used to work there (sometimes even people I don't know). It helps me ask very specific questions. Talking to people also gives me an idea of the personalities of the people who will be interviewing me -- I'm not going to pretend to be someone I'm not, but I like to know what I'll be dealing with.

8. chazp

chazp Active Member

Are you interviewing for the SE's position? If so, tell them how you would improve the section. If you have stringer's experience. tell them how you have been able to establish and maintain relationships with coaches. Explain how much passion you have for the job. Let them know that you are the ideal person for the job. Sell yourself, be confident, but not cocky. If you don't believe in yourself, they won't believe in you and you won't get the gig.

9. A good call, and it might even help to have a few sections with you that you clearly "studied up" on before the interview. Hey, if props work for Carrot Top...

Make sure, however, that there's a 2:1 ass-kissing to "improve the section" ratio.

10. John

John Well-Known Member

If it's a weekly, you don't need a suit. But look nice, and make sure your shoes look good.

11. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Hell, I got my best job and my biggest paper and I didn't wear a tie.

12. miroba71

miroba71 New Member

I vote for wearing a suit. And bring at least one extra resume. And be on time, maybe even a few minutes early.

Draft saved Draft deleted