1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Jackson, Tenn.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Calvin Hobbes, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

From journalismjobs.com. Anybody know what happened to the last SE?

Position: Sports editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires: May 3, 2007
    Job ID: 758212

Description:
    The Jackson Sun, which was recognized by APSE for a top 10 daily sports section in 2006 and a top 10 Sunday section in 2005, seeks a sports editor. Our readers love prep sports, and our sports editor must possess a vision for delivering top-notch coverage of our high school athletes, plus a strong group of regional colleges and a minor league baseball team. Coaching and page design skills are a must, as is a commitment to delivering sports news across multiple platforms. The Sun’s coverage area in West Tennessee (daily circulation of about 35,000) includes 44 high school football programs, 90 prep basketball teams and seven area colleges, plus the University of Memphis and occasional staffing of the University of Tennessee football program. Our high schools consistently challenge for, and often win, state championships. Since 1990, Jackson has been host city for the 32-team NAIA Division I Women's Basketball Championship, which draws schools nationwide. Jackson schools have won the last three tournaments — Union University twice and Lambuth University. Jackson is home to the West Tenn Diamond Jaxx, Double-A affiliate of the Seattle Mariners. The team plays in 6,000-seat Pringles Park, which opened in 1998. Jackson consistently produces star athletes, including four current NFL players — Denver linebacker Al Wilson, New York Jets' center Trey Teague, Buffalo Bills cornerback Jabari Greer and Minnesota Vikings' lineman Artis Hicks. Also from our coverage area are Green Bay lineman Chad Clifton and Ole Miss linebacker Patrick Willis, who will likely be a first-round draft choice this year.

Send a cover letter, resume, and clips showing your writing and design abilities to Steve Coffman, executive editor, The Jackson Sun, 245 W. Lafayette St., Jackson, TN 38301, or scoffman@jacksonsun.com

2. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I talked to these folks back in the day about this place. Nice outfit. Not the worst place to go, by a longshot.

rb

3. Khary McGhee

Khary McGhee New Member

Steve Coffman is good people.

4. GravyTrain

GravyTrain Guest

Last sports editor was Bob Heist. From what I understand, he took the SE job in Lafayette, La.

5. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

what's the staff like? size?

6. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

there are worse places than jackson, cost of living is not bad, and its and easy drive to memphis, nashville and St Louis is about four hours.
    they do an unbelievable job with preps.

7. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

I almost got hired here a couple of years ago. Got a call back about 6 months later when they had another opening.

I was impressed by what I heard and saw of the paper. For what it is, it's a pretty nice shop. I would have taken the gig either time if I could have.

8. Apparently this one hasn't been filled (or is on the market again). Anyone have any info?

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=758212

9. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I thought it was filled internally, which was why they had a reporter opening. No idea what the situation is now.

10. any word on what the deal is? it was just reposted.

11. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

it was actually posted a while back.

12. On the staff directory, it has Dan Morris listed as the sports editor.
    Would he be new?

Draft saved Draft deleted