1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

writer in idaho

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Tom Petty, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

don't think i saw this one:

Company: Idaho State Journal
    Position: Driven sports writer
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires: April 30, 2007
    Job ID: 755973

Description:
    The Idaho State Journal, an 18,000-circulation (and growing) daily in Pocatello, Idaho, is looking for an energetic sports writer to fill out a staff on its award-winning desk. If the idea of working on a staff that prides itself on being the best sports section of its size in the Northwest appeals to you, read on. The ideal candidate will have been a big shot at his or her college paper (or have written for a local paper), and have maximized just about every opportunity he or she has had in the business to this point. The job will be primarily general assignment reporting, but you will have the chance to cover at least one NCAA Division I beat at Idaho State University. The job will also include design work, so experience in InDesign or Quark XPress is a plus. You will be expected to write features, enterprise stories, a weekly column and more. In the past year, ISJ sports writers have had the chance to cover ISU alumns Marv Lewis and Jared Allen in the NFL, have followed the ISU women’s basketball team to the NCAA tournament in Palo Alto, Calif., and have made the short drive to Salt Lake City to cover the Utah Jazz. Mountains surround Pocatello, an area of roughly 65,000 people, and Southeast Idaho provides myriad opportunities for outdoors enthusiasts. Each year, the city hosts two major national sporting events -- the Simplot Games, a premier indoor high school track and field meet where national records are broken on a yearly basis, and the Dodge National Circuit Finals Rodeo. We have fun here. It’s a great place to work and the staff is composed of a bunch of great people. We have more creative freedom than should be legal, because we deserve it and because we preserve it. We want someone who has as much lust for greatness as we do, and as much desire to make their mark in this business, starting here. So if you’re still reading, get in that cover letter, resume, references, five writing clips and two design clips by e-mail to sports editor tflagstad@journalnet.com or by mail to: Tim Flagstad, Sports Editor Idaho State Journal 305 S Arthur P.O. Box 431 Pocatello, Idaho 83204 The deadline for application is April 15.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Idaho State is a I-AA program from the Big Sky Conference. Idaho State's women's basketball team is good, and should get better. The men's team is atrocious. Salt Lake's not as close as they make it sound, and the paper's pretty much shit (unless I'm confusing it with another Idaho paper).

Nice area. Ides could probably tell you more though.

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Salt Lake City is two hours away - you decide how close that is or isn't.

The paper is better than it has been. The sports section has won several APSE awards in the last few years and is undoubtedly a more enjoyable place to work than it was a year or two ago.

The town is growing, but still leaves much to be desired. It has an Applebees, which Cosmo loves, BTW.

Pay will probably be $20-25k.

4. sportschick

See, I knew I had it confused with another paper, dammit! Two hours in this part of the world is damned close.

My comments on the sports teams stand, however. I know my Big Sky athletics.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

bravo. nice save. ;D

6. sportschick

Well, they did do an NCAA Tournament section for the women's team called Off to the Ball with a pink, a PINK, background, so I might have had my judgment clouded.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

the font wasn't blue SC. when i say bravo, i mean it, dammit.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

That paper has long been known around the state for sucking ass, though I did notice one of its guys won a couple of awards this year.
    Ides, did Slater get rehired there or did he end up moving on?

Also, SC you are fucking crazy if you think Pocatello is a nice area. It is ugly, ugly, ugly. It actually reminds me of West Texas, except for the mountains part. The Boise valley is like night and day compared to Poky.

9. OneMoreRead

OneMoreRead Member

Not trying to be funny here, but is Salt Lake City any fun?

I've never been outside of its airport.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'd answer but i'm too busy wiping away the tears.

11. sportschick

I'm sticking to the fact that I like Poky, dammit!

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Did you live in Butte before hanging out there?

Draft saved Draft deleted