1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mr. Oden is not ready for the NBA

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by boots, Mar 25, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

There's no question that Greg Oden is an outstanding player. I don't think he's ready for the NBA right now. Another year of seasoning and he could become an outstanding pro player. Your thoughts.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

He'll be the #1 pick and will be a better NBA player than college player. The shortened 3-point line in college is the great equalizer. Since NBA teams don't rely on it as much, Oden will be even more valuable.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

You can't teach height and height combined with decent athletic ability is a GM's wet dream.

I expect that Oden's gone, and he'll be a solid pro.

4. boots

boots New Member

I just don't see the same fire in him as a collegian that I did when I caught a couple of his games. While I am no expert, I just can see where another year would not hurt him at all.

5. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

when has whether a player being ready or not stopped an nba gm?

a year of college could hurt him, he could get hurt and not get paid for it.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

It'll hurt him in the pocketbook. It might not hurt him to stay as far as developing his game goes, but kids have to consider more than that these days.

7. TheSportsPredictor

Maybe he doesn't want to be in college. Stoicism never hurt Robert Parish or Ivan Lendl.

8. boots

boots New Member

He's not Parish or Lendl.

9. TheSportsPredictor

So he's not allowed to be stoic and suppress his emotions?

10. boots

boots New Member

Right now, I just see him as a journey man center. Nothing more. If he's lucky, he may be as good as John Amechi (and we aren't saying that Oden is gay!)

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I agree boots. I see him as marginly better than Eric Dampier. From his standpoint he should take the money and run while he there is still a bit of unknown to his game. If I am an NBA GM I would be very leary - specialy with Durant in mix.

12. TheSportsPredictor

You guys make me laugh. Writing off a 19-year-old already. Of course he's got things to learn, and he will certainly learn them much more quickly playing against better competition in the NBA.

Draft saved Draft deleted