1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

39 years ago today

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Ah bull shit.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  2. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

This all happened in the top of the first with, I believe, the second batter of the game at the plate.

I wish umpires were as colorful as the ones from this time period. Haller (who was the last to wear the outside chest protector in a World Series game, 1982), Luciano, Chylak, Doug Harvey ... they made it entertaining too.

Lastly, a fun fact: these 1980 Orioles were the last team to win 100 games and miss the playoffs.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Yep.
    2nd batter of the game.
    I loved Kaiser behind the plate. "Jesus Christ! We just started this gosh darn thing."

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The great thing about Hanlon, McGraw,
    Wee Willie Keeler and the rest sitting around in the 1890s and gabbing on about "old-time baseball," is that it didn't exist-- the game as we now know it, with overhand pitching from 60-6, four balls/three strikes, had only been invented in 1893.

In the eighties, the ball/strike balance was shifted several times and bunting came in; in the seventies, batters could still call for high/low pitches. The idea that the pitcher should be trying to get the batters out was not really universal until about 1880.

Until the 1890s, substitutions could only be made with the approval of the opponents.

So all the stuff we now think of as "old-time baseball," handed down from the ancients, on carved stone tablets, etc etc, had only been invented in the last 10-15 years.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    CD Boogie and Songbird like this.
  5. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Actually, the Giants won 103 games in 1993 and finished one game back of the Braves. Of course, that was the last season without a wild-card.

In the clip, I loved the exchange after Haller's "fucking up the World Series" line, when Weaver told him "I've won more than I lost!" When Haller called him on that (Weaver actually lost three of the four series he managed), he turns back to Haller and yells "GAMES! I'm talking GAMES!" And Weaver was actually wrong about that also, as the Orioles were 11-13 in those four Series.

Songbird likes this.
  6. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

69 Mets, Earl.

You had the Pirates 3-1, Earl.

Fuck you, Earl.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

In my life I've probably watched that 20 times and everything about that clip is wonderful. From Weaver doing the finest vulgar Yosemite Sam to Haller not really getting rattled once. "YOU AIN'T NO GOOD!" "And you ain't no good, either."

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

"You're gonna be in the Hall of Fame? Why?"

That gets me every time.

CD Boogie likes this.
  9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I wish umpires still had that kind of power. If an umpire does that today, you've got a million think pieces on why they're too much of a red-ass. Their authority has been usurped way too much.

Seemed to me, for all of the bluster, both Weaver and Haller knew exactly how to go right up to a line neither could cross. As it should be.

Matt1735 and Dog8Cats like this.
  10. Boltonhill

Boltonhill New Member

CD Boogie -- I am so glad that I came across this site because in the past year I have been doing a great deal of research about Ned Hanlon and his Orioles. Ned should have been elected to the Hall of Fame soon after the Hall opened. His impact on baseball has been immense, and baseball fans should know about him and his contributions to the game. I live just around the block from where he lived for many years at 1401 Mt. Royal Ave and am very disappointed the house no longer stands. By any chance, do you or any of your relatives have a picture of that residence? Our neighborhood puts plaques on the buildings of famous people from our neighborhood and I would like to do something to commemorate where his house was. I have located the house of his daughter Edwina, where he died in 1937 which is on Longwood Road and still stands. And from my research, I don't think he was a bastard at all -- he was a smart baseball man, a smart manager, and he kept a few of the Orioles who were bastards (i.e. John McGraw) in line. I hope to hear from you and would love to learn anything else you can tell me about your great grandfather.

Draft saved Draft deleted