1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter, The Robesonian (Lumberton, N.C.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Khary McGhee, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Khary McGhee

Khary McGhee New Member

Hey, folks,

I'm the sports editor at The Robesonian. The following ad is going to be posted on the North Carolina Press Association website in the next day or so, but I also wanted to post it here.

We're losing one of our two staff reporters and would love to fill the position as soon as possible.

I don't know how many of you have heard of the paper or know much about the section. I know some here posted very nice messages about Walter Grable, a former staffer who passed away about two years ago.

Please know that at least as far as the sports section is concerned, the entire culture of the department is changing. That's my goal. I've been on the job just under two months, having left the Fayetteville Observer late last year. And my aim is to get the staff to the point where we're regularly doing good enough work that, in a year or two, you're on your way to bigger and better things in your career.

So, please, take a look and shoot me an email at mcghee.khary@gmail.com or write me a private message here if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Khary

The Robesonian, a 14,000 circulation daily newspaper in Southeastern North
    Carolina, is looking for a sports reporter. Great opportunity for an
    aspiring sports writer fresh from college or someone who has weekly
    experience. Lots of opportunity to write, although there will be some layout
    duties. We will teach the layout. The coverage is primary high school and
    The University of North Carolina at Pembroke. An occasional opportunity to
    cover some ACC. Salary and benefits are competitive. Send resume to Donnie
    Douglas, editor, The Robesonian, P.O. Box 1028, Lumberton, N.C. No phone
    calls please.

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I can offer some details on this one if you want to PM me. I don't know Khary that well, but he seemed like a good guy the couple of times I met him.

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Let me add that this can be a pretty good job to start out on. The town is sketchy, but the job is pretty decent.

4. boots

boots New Member

This one gets the coveted boots seal of approval because it's as great training ground. You'll get the chance to do some good work. Learn the craft from the bottom up. Youngsters, jump on it. Even some old timers who want to move to a nicer place in life might want to consider it.

5. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

i got a damn ticket for reckless driving outside of lumberton. that was crap.

6. boots

boots New Member

Were you driving recklessly?

7. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Erroneous question.

8. JustSomeDude

JustSomeDude New Member

Look on the bright side: At least you aren't Michael Jordan's dad.

9. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

10. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

i was not driving recklessly. i was going 76 in a 55, but i wasn't reckless. there was hardly anyone on the road. cop pulls a u-turn in some field and comes after me. I used the "I'm a report trying to get back before deadline" excuse, which was partly true, but it didn't fly. I got out of it anyway, but still had to go to court. damn NC police and strict driving laws.

11. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Too soon? Nope. Well played.

12. sheos

sheos Member

who's leaving?

Draft saved Draft deleted