1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP Editor Bans Paris Hilton Coverage

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

AP Entertainment Editor Institutes Ban on Paris Hilton Coverage

By E&P Staff

Published: February 28, 2007 11:20 AM ET

NEW YORK The Associated Press decided to give up a major vice last week: its addiction to stories about Paris Hilton. In the past year, Hilton has appeared on the wire an average of twice a week.

The wire service's entertainment editor Jesse Washington sent a memo to staffers on Feb. 13 that said, barring any major events, the AP would not run any mention of Paris Hilton on the wire, according to the memo, which was obtained by the New York Observer.

In the Observer article Washington was quoted as saying, "There was a surprising amount of hand-wringing. A lot of people in the newsroom were saying this was tampering with the news." Washington added that one editor's response was: "This is a great idea -- can we add North Korea?"

The AP was largely successful in the experiment, but Washington said that, unfortunately, her name did pop up in a couple of stories.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    E&P Staff (letters@editorandpublisher.com)

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003551427

2. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Paris Hilton May Have Probation Revoked

AP | February 28, 2007 05:59 PM EST

WEST HOLLYWOOD, Calif. — Paris Hilton could have her probation revoked _ possibly resulting in jail time _ if she is found to have been driving with a suspended license because it would violate conditions of her previous sentence for reckless driving, authorities said Wednesday.

The 26-year-old hotel heiress and star of "The Simple Life" was ticketed for misdemeanor driving with a suspended license after her blue Bentley Continental GTC was pulled over on Sunset Boulevard on Tuesday, Los Angeles County sheriff's Sgt. Duane Allen Jr. said.

She was stopped about 11 p.m. after authorities saw the car speeding with its headlights off, Allen said.

"Our office is waiting to obtain a copy of the citation," said Nick Velasquez, a spokesman for the Los Angeles city attorney's office. "Once we're able to verify that Miss Hilton was driving the vehicle, we will request that the court revoke her probation and set a probation violation hearing."

"That is certainly one of the possibilities," Velasquez said. "The judge would make that determination."

A call to Hilton spokesman Elliot Mintz wasn't immediately returned.

3. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

From: http://www.starpulse.com/news/index.php/2007/02/26/clint_eastwood_makes_puzzling_remark_on_

Clint Eastwood baffled TV reporters and his wife Dina alike on the red carpet at the Oscars yesterday, as he joked about the big night's food choices.

Not a huge fan of the Hollywood system, Eastwood seemed a little disgruntled behind his professional smile - and even his wife was lost for words about his pre-Oscars attitude.

After he told one TV reporter, "I just come here and I get some rubber chicken or something," and walked away his wife was left to try and explain Eastwood's emotions. She said, "I can't figure him out... I'm sorry."

-----------

Maybe the Clint Eastwood who attended the Oscars was a bit confused because he is, in fact, an imposter!

The real Clint Eastwood died weeks ago.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

D_B debases himself again.

No editor is foolish enough to ban Paris Hilton.

5. leo1

leo1 Active Member

what is going on here?

6. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Someone tell D_B the Onion is satire. And not to be taken seriously.

7. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I hope it is true that they are banning coverage of her! ;D

8. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Actually, I saw this referenced on AP's news digest this afternoon.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

AP: Even Ignoring Hilton Becomes News

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2007/03/01/D8NJL0IO0.html

Draft saved Draft deleted