1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

37 frat bros charged in hazing death

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Sep 15, 2015.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I get what you're talking about; not all of them are the same.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Irrelevant point of order...Phi Psi at UVA is not a stereotypically Southern frat. My brother-in-law was a Phi Psi and is a gigantic dork with Southern roots that go back approximately 40 years, when my mother-in-law moved from California as a teenager. My best friend from Phi Psi when I was in school was from fucking France.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

It's just easier to lump them all in the same bro category, though. C'mon, bro.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think that one of the things people initially found fishy about the UVA story was that the Phi Psi fraternity described in the story wasn't the Phi Psi they knew at all. I think it had a "nice guy" reputation.

(For the record, I immediately knew it was made up, and didn't need to go through the "sounds fishy" stage.)

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Your first post on the Jackie thread was a month after Rolling Stone backed off the story.

6. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I don't think it's typical. It's just more likely to happen in a frat than other areas of our society.

7. Dick Whitman

Suuuuuuure ...

Big Circus likes this.
  8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/15/education/edlife/a-hazing-at-cornell.html

HAZING is common on American campuses. A 2008 University of Maine study concluded that 55 percent of students who join fraternities, sororities, sports teams or other student groups experience it.
    --
    Hank Nuwer, a professor at Franklin College in Indiana who has written four books on the subject, says that as long as there have been universities, there has been hazing: in 1657, two Harvard upperclassmen were fined and suspended for hazing. Mr. Nuwer has counted 104 deaths involving hazing since 1970.

An unofficial tally shows 37 bro/sis hazing deaths in America since 2000.

Let's stop pretending it's not a thing for frats to treat their pledges like shit for a week.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Dick, what was your frat like? Bake sales? Community service projects? A little touch football on the quad? I'm sure your brothers weren't into the whole binge-drinking, oafish-hazing and objectifying-of-women scene that some of the less enlightened consider more typical than atypical of frat life.

10. Dick Whitman

We went through the week, but it was actually a lot of fun. It depended on your temperament. I remember my brother having a tantrum during his week, because he just isn't the kind of guy to let stuff roll off his back.

I know that they don't do "hell week" any more at all there. They're very serious about that.

11. Dick Whitman

12. Dick Whitman

I don't know what the "objectifying-of-women scene" is.

I pursued sex with females. I pursued relationships with females.

I realize that's verboten nowadays.

JackReacher likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted