1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

37 frat bros charged in hazing death

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Sep 15, 2015.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

37 fraternity members charged in hazing death of pledge

Five were charged with third-degree murder, and the others were charged with assault, hindering apprehension and hazing.

The affidavit also says the national president, upon hearing they had an unconscious pledge, ordered them to cover up the fraternity's involvement before they sought medical help.

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I will never understand why people want to be part of this nonsense.

cjericho likes this.
  3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

How many fraternity chapters are there in America?

How many instances are there of someone falling on his head and not taken to the hospital?

There are two baseball teams in Chicago, by comparison, and the same number of recent instances of someone falling on his head and not being taken to the hospital - one.

#BanBaseball

4. MisterCreosote

Routine and purposeful hazing is totally the same as an isolated accident.

5. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Pledges doing stupid shit to show they belong is rare? Is that what you're telling me?

6. Dick Whitman

John Danks accidentally didn't take a paralyzed friend to the hospital.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm not sure these are your stereotypical "Frat Bros":

Those facing third-degree murder charges are Charles Lai, Kenny Kwan, Raymond Lam, Daniel Li and Sheldon Wong.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/15/n...r-charges-in-2013-fraternity-hazing.html?_r=0

We're also talking about a school in New York City that is part of the City University of New York, and is one of the most diverse schools in the country:

Confirming its reputation for having a student body as varied as the city of New York in which it is located, Baruch College ranked #2 this year on the list of “Most Ethnically Diverse Colleges” in the country. According to U.S. News & World Report, this list highlights the colleges where “students are most likely to encounter undergraduates different from themselves.”

Baruch College Ranked at #25 among Best Colleges in Region, According to U.S. News & World Report | EON: Enhanced Online News

We're not exactly talking about a bunch of blue bloods, steeped in Southern culture.

These kids wouldn't get into "Drew's" frat at UVa.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

All fraternity members are "bros." It's in the Constitution.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

10. MisterCreosote

Does John Danks take all of his would-be friends to the top of that structure and piledrive them off before they can be friends? And, if so, does it have a direct correlation with the sport of baseball?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I wondered how long it would take Dick to step in and defend the frat bros. I haven't even read the story to see if they're worth defending, but I knew it wouldn't be long. Just an observation. :cool:

12. Dick Whitman

I didn't defend them.

Congratulations on being a sensitive soul, though.

YankeeFan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted