1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beware, Trentonian offering jobs that don't exist

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Interim Bedwetter, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Attention anyone considering applying for or accepting a job at a Trenton, New Jersey newspaper called the Trentonian. This poorly-managed Journal Register Company publication has hired 3 three new editorial (news or sports) employees since December. Now, JRC is claiming that those openings never existed and they have actually gotten rid of those new employees.

The Trentonian recently fired its executive editor and now JRC is claiming that the ex editor never had permission to hire people for those "non-existent" jobs. That of course is a blatant lie, as JRC provided the go-ahead to to fill the jobs and even allowed some of the positions to be advertised in their own paper and on websites.

The one opening was for a news copy editor. That person accepted the job and was scheduled to start earlier this month. Literally hours before this person was set to start, he was contacted and the job offer was taken back. Two other people were working in sports on a part-time basis and had been doing so since December. Now JRC is getting rid of both of them, again claiming that those positions don't exist.

This type of behavior is exactly the type of treatment that any one deciding to work at The Trentonian can expect. In the last two years, the Trentonian has cut its news/sports/photography departments by around 55%. Also, it is very common practice for employees to be harrassed, suspended or terminated if a JRC executive wakes up with a pimple and needs someone to take out their anger on.

The Trentonian building, which is located just inches away from city gang turf, is not protected by any type of security guards, unless JRC has suddenly hired security guards recently. Doubtful. Expense checks for writers' various costs are often "lost" and employees are rarely reimbursed. Desks, computers, etc are never ever cleaned. There are layers of dust and even dried up mouse droppings aplenty. Those unclean computers run on Windows 98, when they manage to run at all.

This is NOT a place you want to work. Believe me, the black cloud that follows around Trentonian employees 24-7 suddenly lifts and lets sunshine in the second you permanently leave that place behind. Any former, or current, Trentonian employee will support this 100%.

2. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Sounds like a peach of a newspaper.

3. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

BYH? Hello?

4. I'd actually like to apply for a job there with the hopes of getting a callback. And then I'd ask them to address every single negative thing presented on SJ just to see the spin they try to put on it. I think it would be fun.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Does anyone in this situation have any real recourse?

6. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

i'm not sure how much cred I give a one-post wonder. but damn it sounds fucked up

7. Bob_Jelloneck

Bob_Jelloneck Member

[​IMG]

Lies, dirty damnable lies, I tell you.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

I don't doubt every word of the original post is true.

There's also the story of someone who was offered a sports writer gig at another JRC paper (not Trenton)...the offer was yanked when he couldn't start immediately. Poor bastard needed the two weeks notice to finish up his work and get to the new place. the gall!!!

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I can't believe a fine, upstanding company like JRC would do this.

For those of you who were wondering, I give you the sarcasm font.

10. wedgewood

wedgewood Member

Trust me, if anything, Bedwetter is soft pedaling it.

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

It's also inches away from the police station (right next door to it actually), a block away from its competition - the Trenton Times. There is some gang activity in the neighborhood, but the majority of it is in other parts of the city.

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Don't bother Ellis... you're probably overqualified for the positions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.