1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Wire, Season 5 -- Read Between the Lines

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PhilaYank36, Jan 16, 2007.

1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

After absorbing seasons 2 and 3 of "The Wire" over the last two weeks, I have only reinforced my belief that this show is probably the best show ever made in the last 30 or so years. I seriously can't decide which season was the best, between 2 and 4. Season 2 was funnier (McNulty is probably the funniest drunken character I can recall), but Season 4 was more hard-hitting and jaw-dropping. Any thoughts?

And please, feel free to air out anything else that is on your mind about this show. Wire-virgins: Double-Down and Zeke are "The Men" to ask for guidance and clarity about the show.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Re: All-purpose, never-ending "Wire" thread

Wow. Lot of pressure to live up to, especially being grouped with the likes of DD.

I'm still plowing through the last season for a second time on the DVR, but one thought keeps coming back to me: What if the kids not only echo the original characters, but what if the whole season is sort of a meta-textual comment on the show itself? There seems to be deliberate examination of aspects of Baltimore life that up to this point had conjured their power from being spoken but largely unseen (for example, "The Corners" was used as a touchstone in the first few seasons, but we really didn't see them. When we did visit the street-level dealers, it was in the Terrace. Likewise, the "little hoppers," who before were used to show how bad the drug problem had gotten now have faces and names.) A show that has largely developed its own language might well feel the need to comment on itself in such a manner, or it could simply be a function of these places being "next" as Simon has alluded to in interviews.

As I said, food for thought. back

Speaking of McNulty, his genuine happiness is portrayed, well, genuinely in Season 4. Very unlike the Wire, and it makes you wonder when the other shoe will drop. Will Beadie die? Will one of the kids? A show this critical probably isn't going to let McNulty be happy in his radio car in the final episode.

You could write a graduate thesis comparing Omar to the bandit anti-heroes of the old west like Jesse James and Billy the Kid. All the code of honor things, plus the rob from the rich and give to the poor themes are there. He's just, you know, big and black and gay.

3. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

VERY nice comparison between Omar and Jesse James/Billy the Kid, Zeke. I also noticed, along with Omar's code of honor, is how he is both cunning and compassionate. The way he undressed the lawyer in Season 2 was pure brilliance while him allowing Br. Mouzone to live and burning the cigarette into his palm after Kimmie's parter was shot reflect that he is a human being with a full range of emotions, unlike what we have seen (so far) of the probable sociopath Marlo.

That also leads me to another question: who is the most intimidating, fearsome character in this show? Chris Partlow, Snoop, Br. Mouzone, Omar, Marlo or Vondas?

4. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

We're going through the first three seasons right now. Season one and two came today; season three last week. Since I've only seen season four and a couple episodes when it was on HBO before season four began, I'm excited to see some of the transformation of the characters.

5. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Never saw it before but bought season 1 on Sunday, basically on the say-so of the board's wisemen. Managed to only watch three first episodes Sunday night but I'm converted and I want to learn to play chess.

YHS, etc

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The king stay the king, fof.

And the pawns get killed off quick.

Unless they some smart-ass pawns.

7. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

We just like them little bitches on the chessboard!

8. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

The is Baltimore, gentlemen. The gods will not save you.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Omar coming, Omar coming.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Full credit to DD for transcribing this, which no Wire thread would be complete without:

We are police. So no lies between us. He wasn't the greatest detective. And he wasn't the worst. He put downs some good cases and he dogged a few bad ones. But the mutherfucker had his moments. Yes, he fucking did. You remember the Mississippi extradition? The arson murders? He brought that case home. And the triple? At the after-hours over on Hudson Street? That was Ray Cole at his best. And Fayette Street in 93. The drug wars. He took a lot of hot corners and cooled them. Yes indeed. He won as much as he lost. Much as any of us. Did he piss off a wife or three? No fucking doubt. I think the last one actually kind of got used to him, thank god. Did he say the wrong shit now and then? Did he bust balls and cheat on his taxes and forget to call his mother and fuck the wrong broad for the wrong fucking reason, every now and then? Who fucking doesn't? Christ. Was he as full of shit as every other sad sack mutherfucker wearing a badge of Baltimore City Police? Ab-sa-fucking-lout-ly. His shit was as weak as ours, no question. But Ray Cole stood with us. All of us. In Baltimore. Working. Sharing a dark corner of the American experiment.

He was called. He served. He. Is. Counted.

Old King Cole.

11. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

That gets better every time I hear it (or read it).

Of course, now I have to go and listen to "The Body of an American" for the full affect.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I'm a free-born man of the USA!

Draft saved Draft deleted