1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

36 years ago today, we all believed in miracles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Feb 22, 2016.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Rookie Magic Johnson's 42-point, 15-rebound, 7-assist game to win the NBA title did not air live 3 months later.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Was as much her idea as mine. It was a Friday night. We had plenty of time.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Sounds like she was a keeper.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yep. That never gets old.

5. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I made my first trip to Lake Placid this summer and it was a really neat experience. My father in law was at the gold medal game and several members of his family were at the Miracle on Ice game, so it was neat to get their first-hand accounts of everything. Father in law claims he was the first (or one of the very first) people to jump onto the ice after the gold medal game.

We, of course, walked around the facility and kind of lucked into a tour of the U.S. and Soviet locker rooms. A janitor came up and started chatting us up — came off a bit weird a first, but proved very cool — and let us in and unlocked everything.

Thanks to all the family history, my wife's fairly obsessed with the Disney movie.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Huggy Jr. loves "Miracle", has read loads about that team and that game and spoke to a guy I know who was at the game as a photographer for Canadian Press. We have told him we will hit Lake Placid when we go to Cooperstown or if we head to Montreal this summer.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It's been much commented on other threads, but "Miracle" is pretty universally ranked the best and most accurate Disney sports movie ever.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

The 30 for 30 about the Russian hockey team that came out last year was fantastic, even though you're reading subtitles as much as you're watching.

Liut likes this.
  9. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

The best part of Al Michaels' work at the end of that game was how long he remained silent and let the crowd tell the story. Just a great call.

Liut likes this.
  10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

A buddy's dad coached with Herb on the Gophers and tells a great story about how much Herb cussed at his team. After one such outburst, he steps out of the locker-room, leans against the wall, takes a deep breath and mutters, "I just wish there was a different word for fuck."
    A buddy's dad coached with Herb on the Gophers and tells a great story about how much Herb cussed at his team. After one such outburst, he steps out of the locker-room, leans against the wall, takes a deep breath and mutters, "I just wish there was a different word for fuck."

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The only inaccuracy in "Miracle" is Russel parts his hair on the opposite side as Herb Brooks did.

The ABC radio call, which I had never heard before seeing this video, is excellent too.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Jim Craig, telling a few stories ...

Draft saved Draft deleted