1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

36 years ago this morning

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by maumann, Jan 28, 2022.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Bitterly cold night. NASA Select was showing icicles on the pad. WMEL news director Don Germaise and I debated whether we should even waste the drive to the Cape because we were certain NASA would scrub. All I had was a lined wind breaker and a thin sweater. I was 27. It was one day after the anniversary of the Apollo 1 fire.

Everything appeared nominal through "go with throttle up." Then there was a ball of fire and the two solid rocket boosters appeared on the other side. But there was no Shuttle. Just streamers of debris floating back to the ocean.

The contrails hung in the clear blue sky for hours. The huge clock near the American flag at the media viewing area was still counting a mission that had ended hours ago when I left after President Reagan's speech.

RIP, crew of 51-L.

NASA Remembers Fallen Heroes - YouTube

Last edited: Jan 28, 2022
  2. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

A friend stopped me on the university concourse as I was going to morning classes and said something had happened. I hustled to our student center, where in silence and some tears a group of us watched CNN. A lot of professors canceled classes. My roomates and I watched CNN pretty much for the rest of the day. Still shocking to watch.

maumann likes this.
  3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I was 11 and home from school that day for some reason. IIRC, I was watching "The Price is Right" when Dan Rather cut in. My mom had been out that morning but I told her when she came home.

Can still recite the entire crew, including of course Christa McAuliffe, schoolteacher from New Hampshire.

Webster and maumann like this.
  4. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Damn, can't believe you witnessed that. I was in an elevator going up to my dorm room when a friend asked me if I knew what had happened. I was in class, so no. I didn't. Like everyone else, w were glued to the TV the rest of the day.

maumann likes this.
  5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

11th grade U.S. history class. Teacher (also the baseball coach) came in and told us. No one believed him. Still a haunting day.

maumann likes this.
  6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Getting ready to go to the office. Heard the news break on the radio, so turned on the TV. There it was. Haunting all day trying to go through my regular routine.

maumann likes this.
  7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I was 13, and for some reason, we already had a half-day of school scheduled that day to take some sort of standardized test (that I never found out the results of), which took maybe an hour tops in homeroom, then we watched some sort of 1960s-era cowboy movie for the rest of the half day. I think John Wayne was in it.

Came home, made myself a peanut butter sandwich, and turned on the TV to watch "The Price Is Right", and the news was already on with shuttle explosion. I went to tell my Mom, who was in her bedroom cleaning out her closet, and she kinda blew me off. Spent part of the day watching the news coverage.

maumann likes this.
  8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Fourth grade and I believe it was a Tuesday. We had had the day before off I believe for snow. Mrs. Ulakovic was in the middle of teaching us something when another teacher came in and told her what had happened. Each classroom in that Catholic school had an old school black and white TV on a cart in the corner. She wheeled it out, turned it on and that became our lesson for the day. We had a kid in that class who was obsessed with wanting to be an astronaut and everyone kept looking over for his reaction.

maumann likes this.
  9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

It was a snow day in Tennessee as well, so I was sleeping in. Woke up late and went to look for The Price is Right (amazing how that keeps coming up) and the news was on …

Baron Scicluna and maumann like this.
  10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I was in the 8th grade and P.E. was about to begin. Mr. Turner still made us do calisthenics that day.

Baron Scicluna and maumann like this.
  11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Just another day in my senior yr at college enjoying life and studying for LSAT. First real tragedy I’d seen.

maumann likes this.
  12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Looking it up, Wikipedia has "Wheel of Fortune" on at 11 a.m. and Scrabble at 11:30 on NBC, and on ABC, there was some show called "Fame, Fortune and Romance" hosted by Robin Leach and Matt Lauer (!), which was a spinoff of "The Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous". Unsurprisingly, it lasted one season.

NBC was fine, but no wonder we all loved "The Price Is Right".

playthrough, MileHigh and maumann like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted